ICP Test Results

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my ICP test results and had a couple of questions. First, it looks like my salinity looks low, but my tests show it at 1.026. I use a Milwaukee meter (35 ppt) and just double chec,ked with a refractometer (1.026, and verified with BRS calibration fluid that it's exactly on target). So do I trust this test, or my calibrated equipment? Looks like I can bring up my trace elements a little too - I had been dosing Red Sea trace (ABCD) but have held off for a couple of weeks until I got this test back. The calcium was spot on with my test and while I didn't test the mag, it's in line with what my tank typically runs. For phosphorous, my test came in at .074 ppm and the ICP says 0 ppm, so I'm guessing that may be within the margin of error?

Bottom line, I'm not sure what, if anything to do here (other than to dose trace). I don't want to raise salinity when my testing disagrees with the ICP results.
Test267830820_Results.jpeg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with my calibrated equipment if I were you...especially if the the tank livestock looks healthy.
That's what I'm thinking too, but boy, that Na seems off in the ICP test. I know (now LOL) that this is probably not the best test so perhaps I order a different test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a problem? My RO test came back fine, except .07 ppm of rubidium (Calcium was .01ppm but everything else was 0)

RO water tests rarely showing anything important, IMO, unless it is not 0 ppm TDS.

I don't see a salinity "problem", but I would raise potassium.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add, I do not run an ATO, so no chance that it's malfunctioning.
you should give ATO a second chance or first, i use to think it was no big deal but since i have started using one i wouldnt go back. speaking of the tunze osmolator of course.. its awsome and adds super stability to your salinity

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should give ATO a second chance or first, i use to think it was no big deal but since i have started using one i wouldnt go back. speaking of the tunze osmolator of course.. its awsome and adds super stability to your salinity
I have a biocube and with the full hood, it's really not needed. Only occasionally will I have enough evaporation in between my water changes to change the salinity. And that's only during the summer if my fan has been running a lot for cooling. Otherwise, I don't need to top it off.

Zhubbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very resilient after having tried it a few times like 8 years ago…
So glad my brother finally convinced me to get the little duetto ATO.
Instant installation, super intuitive and easy to use, and it makes such a big difference.
I run 500 total gallons and it does a great job.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my ICP test results and had a couple of questions. First, it looks like my salinity looks low, but my tests show it at 1.026. I use a Milwaukee meter (35 ppt) and just double chec,ked with a refractometer (1.026, and verified with BRS calibration fluid that it's exactly on target). So do I trust this test, or my calibrated equipment? Looks like I can bring up my trace elements a little too - I had been dosing Red Sea trace (ABCD) but have held off for a couple of weeks until I got this test back. The calcium was spot on with my test and while I didn't test the mag, it's in line with what my tank typically runs. For phosphorous, my test came in at .074 ppm and the ICP says 0 ppm, so I'm guessing that may be within the margin of error?

Bottom line, I'm not sure what, if anything to do here (other than to dose trace). I don't want to raise salinity when my testing disagrees with the ICP results.

How is the tank doing?...Are all the inhabitance doing well...If so I would be temped to do nothing...might consider bumping up potassium but not at all critical.

The phrase Randy used "if the results are accurate" is important to keep in mind...ICP measurements are not "perfect". On your phosphorous measurement those results compared to home test are not unusual...You can read about it here...along with some comments on on ICP measurements

Hope this helps

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stick with local measurements.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back