Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Alk and Phosphate

What is?

Well, you said alk, phosphate and nitrate. At most, only phosphate says anything about icp, and even that may be wrong since some companies may measure it in other ways.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is?

Well, you said alk, phosphate and nitrate. At most, only phosphate says anything about icp, and even that may be wrong since some companies may measure it in other ways.
I was just stating that ATI and OCEAMO always come back pretty close to my hobby grade test kit results. I only listed PO4 and ALK in that example, but I can update soon with my next ICP results comparing NO3 with the Hanna HR NO3 checker.

IMG_0869.jpeg
IMG_0871.jpeg
IMG_0870.jpeg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just stating that ATI and OCEAMO always come back pretty close to my hobby grade test kit results. I only listed PO4 and ALK in that example, but I can update soon with my next ICP results comparing NO3 with the Hanna HR NO3 checker.

IMG_0869.jpeg
IMG_0871.jpeg
IMG_0870.jpeg
For all you know they could be using Hanna Checkers to measure Alk, Phosphate and Nitrate.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been relying on ICP tests and a Mastertronic for testing. The great thing about the mastertronic is you can verify accuracy using a reference fluid (a fluid with a KNOWN amount of the thing you're testing for, ie: 10mg/l NO3).

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all you know they could be using Hanna Checkers to measure Alk, Phosphate and Nitrate.
In my opinion Hanna would be too slow for lab to measure Nitrate or Phosphate, at least I find them slow.
The lab equipment should be faster, robust, accurate , repeatable etc… But the method might be exactly the same under the hood.

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just ran an ICP analysis test. Most of the numbers came back within an acceptable range. I was most interested in my trace elements numbers. I use natural seawater for water changes and have been successfully adding trace elements and iodide for the last 6 months to boost levels a bit. I have seen improvements in color and growth. My "indicator coral" is a super red montipora digitata that looks amazing after I dose......Back to the ICP test. My magnesium on the test measured 1269. My Hanna checker 1525. I just used the certified standard calibration kit from Hanna and my checker was slightly on the high side, but well within the standard deviation of +/- 70. I believe my Hanna and not the ICP. Thoughts?
It’s crazy this post showed up because I literally just got my ICP analysis back and it was very similar to your story where my Hannah checker reads that I am 1400+ and according to the ICP analysis, it said under 1200 which there’s no way possible. I also ended up using my Salifert magnesium test which was about 30 less than my Hanna. I’m goin w Hanna in this case.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0869.jpeg
IMG_0871.jpeg
IMG_0870.jpeg

I’m quibbling with your calling it icp and potentially letting that agreement seem like icp is getting similar results to kits.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back