Id and how to defeat it

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all have this what im assuming is a type of turf algae. Its green slimey yet its tough to get off and seems to branch. What is it and ho do i get rid of it.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got pictures under white light?

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See pic

Attachments

• 20220426_183223.jpg
    20220426_183223.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 32

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like turf and wire algae. For either, you will want to take rock out and place into a tub of tank water and scrub with a very firm toothbrush or similar with 3% hydrogen Peroxide.
Return to tank and add pencil urchin, ninja star snails and even sea hare. Pitho crabs and chiton snails work good also. Emerald crabs which i DONT trust will work on it also
Reduce white light intensity a few days

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i
Looks like turf and wire algae. For either, you will want to take rock out and place into a tub of tank water and scrub with a very firm toothbrush or similar with 3% hydrogen Peroxide.
Return to tank and add pencil urchin, ninja star snails and even sea hare. Pitho crabs and chiton snails work good also. Emerald crabs which i DONT trust will work on it also
Reduce white light intensity a few days

Thanks for the quick detailed response! So you say pencil urchin is there a reason for the pencil over say a tuxedo? As far as sea hares go arnt they difficult to keep?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i

Thanks for the quick detailed response! So you say pencil urchin is there a reason for the pencil over say a tuxedo? As far as sea hares go arnt they difficult to keep?
Sea hares very easy especially dolabella sea hare- issue is, once algae gone, they go hungry so be prepared to sell or trade it or even loan it out.
Pencil urchin will not grab every shell and frag in site like a tuxedo

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea hares very easy especially dolabella sea hare- issue is, once algae gone, they go hungry so be prepared to sell or trade it or even loan it out.
Pencil urchin will not grab every shell and frag in site like a tuxedo
Sounds good thanks. Sadly i dont think a hare is great for me as i live in an area where the hobby isnt very common. And dont want to risk shipping it back out. So will try scrubing and crabs or urchin. Again thanks for the help! Im assuming this came in on a frag or is it die to high nutrients.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sounds good thanks. Sadly i dont think a hare is great for me as i live in an area where the hobby isnt very common. And dont want to risk shipping it back out. So will try scrubing and crabs or urchin. Again thanks for the help! Im assuming this came in on a frag or is it die to high nutrients.
Probably both. Indirect sunlight from a nearby window with UV strong this time of year will also promote it

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back