ID? Eggs sacks found.... to late for 8 heads of NY Knicks Torch though.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sounds lil risky to me?? know of ,know how,never in 30 years used myself,have air pump ready,poss wait for another opinion? @35ppt ? thanks

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
op "adam " please tag me to follow new thread;)

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used FWE before with good results. Problem lies in what type of flatworms they are and the effectiveness of FWE on that species. In the testing reports certain species were hardly effected. So my theory would be hopeful that between the regular dips and FWE, it would at least aggravate them enough to make them visible so I could note which corals may have larger amounts on them and focus extra dipping on those.
Hopefully I have knocked down the bulk of the flatworms and eggs already by removing the dead or dying corals and/or skeletons. Looking at some pics of previous corals while they were in the dip I think I may not have noticed the worms or mistaken them as parts of the coral itself. Since some corals were deteriorating rapidly I think I may have been thinking that the worms were the tips of the tentacles that had come apart. After dipping some hammers is when I noticed the “tips” of the yellow and orange hammers that came off were the same grayish color, not the color of the hammer. The torches that I had lost earlier on which all had similar coloration, particularly under the white lighting of the work light, and appeared to have grayish tips.
On another thought, I had been planning on adding a frag tank to the mix of tanks around here and think now may be a great time. For now I could move all the suspected coral hosts (euphyllia sp) to the “frag tank” and be able monitor them more easily and closely. If euphyllia are the preferred food source hopefully any remaining in the DT will die off and not turn to another coral type for food. The amount of water difference in the frag tank would make it easier to dose treatments and filter/ change the water if a large die off were to occur. Biggest hurdle with the frag/ hospital system: Her! and you all know who I’m talking about!!! hahaha

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried searching this question but end up getting a lot of “white paper” results with couple hundred pages to sift through....

Anyone have a general idea about gestation period for most of the common flatworms we encounter?

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some corals in that didn’t make it long around the end of April. Thinking about the way they faded away is reminiscent of what been going on lately. I never saw evidence of a pest when dipping and examining the ones in April. However if they had laid eggs and removing those corals didn’t take those eggs with them I could see a strong connection in the two situations. Which the last two orders containing euphyllia didn’t last long and looked disgruntled from day 1 and had me questioning the integrity of the pieces that may have been brought in quickly for a “big sale”.
I know a personal QT is the best method but going by the word of “quality” retailers and their processes coupled with our own dipping and examining on arrival and then adding to the tank you would think to be safe.
Lesson may well be burned in my mind now...and wallet!!

I will update as more info is found. Thank you all for advise so far.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back