NY Knicks torch black tips, bailout

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a NY Knicks torch that has been doing really well and actually grew a couple of heads. One day noticed 3 of 4 heads weren’t extending and had black tips. The head receded heavily, what covered almost the entire Skelton was gone and looked like it was balling over a couple of days. I did an iodine dip yesterday hoping to recover but no luck. 1 head is still doing fine and the torch right next to it is fine as well. Also I am SPS heavy and none of my acrid showed stress so I don’t think I’ve had any major changes. Any ideas what it could be?

I don’t have any fish that nip on them either. Should I cut off the bad heads and hope the one head survives or is it too late?

IMG_1204.png IMG_1203.jpeg IMG_1205.jpeg IMG_1206.png

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it, but that looks like BJD. It's good to hear you tried iodine. I would personally cut the bad heads off to prevent spreading. I would also take all euphyllia (torches, Hammers, spawns, etc) and put them in a QT and do a 10 day cipro treatment. That helps reduce the chance that the others get it.

You could cipro the tank as well and reduce the bacteria that caused the problem. You'll just want to look into the risks of anything in your tank. Personally the only thing that had an issue for me were some urchins. So they went to a QT until the cipro was done just to be safe.

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hate to say it, but that looks like BJD. It's good to hear you tried iodine. I would personally cut the bad heads off to prevent spreading. I would also take all euphyllia (torches, Hammers, spawns, etc) and put them in a QT and do a 10 day cipro treatment. That helps reduce the chance that the others get it.

You could cipro the tank as well and reduce the bacteria that caused the problem. You'll just want to look into the risks of anything in your tank. Personally the only thing that had an issue for me were some urchins. So they went to a QT until the cipro was done just to be safe.
Yeah that’s what I thought as well. Trying to find cipro but can’t find it without a prescription. Cut the heads off, the last good head started to get it so I think it’s done for. Once I can secure some cipro I’ll dose the tank. I think I had it earlier on a cotton candy and dragon soil that both died but haven’t noticed any other issues until this. It’s been about a couple of months at this point since the first loses.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get Aqua-Cipro. But it looks like most places are out...

I found 1 place that may have some left!

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I usually get Aqua-Cipro. But it looks like most places are out...

I found 1 place that may have some left!
Thank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back