ID for worm-looking critter in sand

benaharoni02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing seems to live in the sand or in a rock near the sand and extends himself up and out the sand, he is quite creepy looking. He can king roll in on himself to retract or something, it's creepy, check it out and let me know if you know what it is cause I don't! It is fast and afraid of anything going near it so it's quite hard to catch, or maybe I'm just really slow.

Attachments

• IMG_4253.MOV
    95.1 MB
OP
OP
benaharoni02

benaharoni02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hopefully these videos from youtube are better than the download

OP
OP
benaharoni02

benaharoni02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to see with blue light. It seems to be protruding out of the sand, bit I cannot see any antennae, webbing, or feelers, so no ideas yet. Pics or vid under white light would be easier.
ill try to grab a better video right now, there is no webbing or antennae from what I can tell, it looks to have a weird yellow mouth too, it didn't try to kill my blood shrimp when it passed over the hole in the sand its in so I doubt its some predatory thing

OP
OP
benaharoni02

benaharoni02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nassarius snail trunk

Does it move?
It doesnt move much, i have nassarius snails and this thing dwarfs the size of their trunks. Ive tried to grab it but it retracts very fast and when I try to grab it in the sand it always seems to disappear, only to pop up inches from where it was when I tried to grab/dig it up.

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any big snails? My fighting conch sits with his trunk up like that and it’s like the size of a pen ink

Silly question but have you dug down into the sand near it?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt move much, i have nassarius snails and this thing dwarfs the size of their trunks. Ive tried to grab it but it retracts very fast and when I try to grab it in the sand it always seems to disappear, only to pop up inches from where it was when I tried to grab/dig it up.
Look up peanut worm.

OP
OP
benaharoni02

benaharoni02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up peanut worm.
I found this forum and it does kinda resemble a peanut worm from this forum from what I can tell. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/peanut-worms-sipunculans.83164/.
Mine seems to have shorter little tentacles and a more yellow mouth, as well as there is a distinct cut-off of the black coloration.

Edit: The coloring is actually from like black to gray then to a white-off creamy color
Also now pretty convinced its just a large peanut worm I never saw until recently

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back