Weird worm critter.

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this weird worm critter in my tank Not thrilled at all. Does anyone know what it is? Hasn't burrowed under the sand a few mins later. Kinda looks like it has legs?! IMG20240317203928.jpg

Attachments

• VID20240317203932~2.mp4
    24.1 MB
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! @WalkerLoves_TheOcean @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

I should have taken it out cause now it's disappeared in my tank :grimacing-face: I'll keep an eye out for it. Someone said it looks like a fish parasite but I don't have any fish in the tank. I did take some seaweed from the ocean and put it in a few weeks ago, so maybe that's where it came from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at other threads, I'm seeing similar worms identified as: baby bristle worm, Bobbitt worm, Dorvilleidae or a saltwater millipede. I feel one is worse than the others:anxious-face-with-sweat: I don't think it's a Bobbitt though.
@ISpeakForTheSeas Do you think you could Id? sorry for calling on ya!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at other threads, I'm seeing similar worms identified as: baby bristle worm, Bobbitt worm, Dorvilleidae or a saltwater millipede. I feel one is worse than the others:anxious-face-with-sweat: I don't think it's a Bobbitt though.
@ISpeakForTheSeas Do you think you could Id? sorry for calling on ya!
Someone said it looks like a fish parasite but I don't have any fish in the tank.
Haha, I don't mind the tag - the video is a lot clearer than the pic.

The video shows it's a Polychaete (a bristleworm) of some variety with cephalic tentacles (tentacles on its head).

So, it's definitely not a parasite - no concerns there. Also, to my knowledge, saltwater millipedes don't exist - if someone says "saltwater millipede" it's a pretty safe assumption that they're actually talking about a bristleworm of some kind.

Anyway I can't tell how many tentacles your worm has on its head, but as a general rule, 5 tentacles = Eunicid worm (this category of worms includes predators like the Bobbit and others, but many of these are also harmless/beneficial CUC like most other bristleworms), 4 tentacles = Dorvilleid worm (harmless/beneficial), and a different number means a different kind of worm.

I'd guess yours is a Dorvilleid, but if you can count the tentacles that'd tell you for sure.

Also, just to clarify here, bristleworm is less a specific ID and more a category ID (referring to the taxonomic class Polychaeta). Calling something a bristleworm is like calling something a crab or a fish - it's generally helpful, but not specific. The other groupings like Eunicid and Dorvilleid are more specific, but even those are still category IDs rather than species IDs (taxonomic families Eunicidae and Dorvilleidae).

Fortunately, though, those family level IDs are usually good enough with worms (and ID's lower than that can get really difficult depending on the family with worms).

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I don't mind the tag - the video is a lot clearer than the pic.

The video shows it's a Polychaete (a bristleworm) of some variety with cephalic tentacles (tentacles on its head).

So, it's definitely not a parasite - no concerns there. Also, to my knowledge, saltwater millipedes don't exist - if someone says "saltwater millipede" it's a pretty safe assumption that they're actually talking about a bristleworm of some kind.

Anyway I can't tell how many tentacles your worm has on its head, but as a general rule, 5 tentacles = Eunicid worm (this category of worms includes predators like the Bobbit and others, but many of these are also harmless/beneficial CUC like most other bristleworms), 4 tentacles = Dorvilleid worm (harmless/beneficial), and a different number means a different kind of worm.

I'd guess yours is a Dorvilleid, but if you can count the tentacles that'd tell you for sure.

Also, just to clarify here, bristleworm is less a specific ID and more a category ID (referring to the taxonomic class Polychaeta). Calling something a bristleworm is like calling something a crab or a fish - it's generally helpful, but not specific. The other groupings like Eunicid and Dorvilleid are more specific, but even those are still category IDs rather than species IDs (taxonomic families Eunicidae and Dorvilleidae).

Fortunately, though, those family level IDs are usually good enough with worms (and ID's lower than that can get really difficult depending on the family with worms).
Thank you so much! Just to double check, would you say it is something to worry about? I'll keep an eye out and grab him if I see him. Thank you again!

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! @WalkerLoves_TheOcean @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

I should have taken it out cause now it's disappeared in my tank :grimacing-face: I'll keep an eye out for it. Someone said it looks like a fish parasite but I don't have any fish in the tank. I did take some seaweed from the ocean and put it in a few weeks ago, so maybe that's where it came from.
Um, duh? LOL!

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Just to double check, would you say it is something to worry about? I'll keep an eye out and grab him if I see him. Thank you again!
Get an arrow crab. They will take care of it for you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back