ID help please. (Video included)

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some help trying to figure out what kind of algae this is. Tank is just under 1 year old and is a reefer 425 (~90 gal display). My nutrients are 0 nitrate and 0.01 phos. I’m running a refugium, rollermat, 25 watt pentair UV with 470 gph (apex flow meter). I have 11 fish including a Foxface, bristletooth tang, yellow tang and feed 2 cubes per day.

I initially thought it was just hair algae but my urchins and tangs won’t touch it. It also doesn’t pull off rock easier. I was concerned it might be dinos due to low nutrients but it doesn’t change at night with lights off and it’s hard to scrape off rock.

I was finally able to get some decent photos of it and the video below.

Please help as I’m not sure if I should try to raise or lower nutrients or whatever else is needed

IMG_1005.jpeg IMG_1006.jpeg IMG_0996.jpeg IMG_0997.jpeg IMG_0990.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1007.mov
    49 MB
OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google this and see if it is a match. Chrysophytes thrive when there is very low or no nutrients.
1C6A7770-0F15-454D-9EAB-DF694E554A20.png
This might be it. Having trouble finding images to compare it.

Im just not sure what to do. I’ve gotten advice to reduce my feedings and that all the nutrients in my tank are in the algae… and then the exact opposite that this is due to low nutrients and to up my feeding and even dose it

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be it. Having trouble finding images to compare it.

Im just not sure what to do. I’ve gotten advice to reduce my feedings and that all the nutrients in my tank are in the algae… and then the exact opposite that this is due to low nutrients and to up my feeding and even dose it
This hobby can be frustrating at times! Just search the title of the thread, a lot of good info.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back