ID - Lorpies or Granuloa?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2021
Messages
2,054
Reaction score
2,054
Location
Switzerland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Recently bought an acropora.
its mostly nice shiny white and has purple tips.

under bluelight it looks like lightblue and yellowish

any idea if this is a granulosa or a loripes? Vendor told me its loripes but I am not sure though.

pure sunlight picture

IMG_0500.jpeg
 
Not an acro ID wiz but gonna take a stab at it for my own amusement.

Gonna go with Loripes. They look very similar to eachother (Granny and loripes) but to me Loripes get a more "bunchy" look to them, whereas granulosa colonies tend to shoot up very smooth branches. So basically Loripes is going to grow vertically quicker, Granulosa will puddle/table out quicker and eventually shoot straight up smooth branches. That's my understanding. Pics to accompany analysis :P

Loripes:
1713359132462.png

1713359143826.png

1713359172047.png


Granulosa:
1713359204834.png

1713359223563.png

1713359238730.png


As you can see, I think it's a lot more evident with full colony shots. That said, these two species undoubtedly resemble eachother to a high degree. Also I know things get reclassed all the time...

Again, I could be totally wrong on this and happy to hear others' thoughts.
 
You can't tell by growth patterns as flow can create tight or loose growing branches.

Loripes are usually easy to distinguish because one side of the branch is smooth like the second pic in Charlie the Reefers pic post(#3)

That could also be a rosaria............it's too small to tell but that's what I would lean towards
 
Well thank you guys for your input, highly appreciated.

I think @Big E you could be right aswell.. well only time will tell I guess.
I hope it will color up some more though.. Would you say this guy needs lower PAR or where would you place it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 22.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new