ID... New Tank Diatoms or something else? There are bubbles

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I thought I was in the midst of a diatom bloom but noticed a particular patch has bubbles resting on it. Here are my best attempts to capture it with my iphone. 1st pic is the patch with bubbles. 2nd pic is what most of the algae looks like. Thanks.

ie0MwgY.jpg

EMNwav1.jpg

OP
OP
mr11

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it completed the nitrogen cycle a few weeks ago and I have had fish in it for a couple weeks. Not sure if I can keep the lights off with the fish. Any CUC members who will eat it?

OP
OP
mr11

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And odd question... I just cleaned some of this off the tank and siphoned some. Is it supposed to smell? Because it has some funk to it.

markshimala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need to turn the lig.hts off. I cycle mine with everything on. It will run its course. If yours has already cycled then maybe it is time for a 20 percent WC. Also, it could be silicates or phosphates causing it. Do you top off with ro/di water?

deepercon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is not necessary to turn the lights off while cycling, i know for sure killing the lights for a couple days(3) solved the problem for me.
As for the fish needing light, not so much according to my knowledge.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run some activated carbon.
If it is stinky it hasn't finished cycling.
get some PRIME. Stability is good to us with it.
If it is diatoms they feed on silicates. They will eventually run out of food. Make sure you use RODI for mixing and ato. I know I know ...but really use RODI.
A new tank is going to go through phases.

OP
OP
mr11

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I am using spectrapure RO/DI. I cut my light cycle back to 6hrs, did a water change, and siphoned what I could. Still seems to be growing back.

OP
OP
mr11

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked Nitrates a few days ago and it was 5ppm. I just bought a phosphate checker but need new reagent for it. I think I was definitely overfeeding for the 1st couple of weeks but have sense corrected that.

For filtration I just have live rock, protein skimmer, and a foam pad thing in the sump. The foam pad is getting switched out for filter socks once they come in on Wednesday.

If I just keep doing the "right" things, ie not overfeeding, water changes, and ro/di should it resolve or do I need to go through extra steps to get rid of the Cyano?

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked Nitrates a few days ago and it was 5ppm. I just bought a phosphate checker but need new reagent for it. I think I was definitely overfeeding for the 1st couple of weeks but have sense corrected that.

For filtration I just have live rock, protein skimmer, and a foam pad thing in the sump. The foam pad is getting switched out for filter socks once they come in on Wednesday.

If I just keep doing the "right" things, ie not overfeeding, water changes, and ro/di should it resolve or do I need to go through extra steps to get rid of the Cyano?
Sounds like a good plan, just keep monitoring your system closely for improvement before investing on new equipment for now

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back