ID on Algae

Wes17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed this was red cyano when it first started as it easily blew off but now it seems there are bubbles everywhere along with it. Any ideas?

Nitrate and Phos at 0 but I assume this is the algae sucking up all the nutrients?

Recently added dr Tim’s waste away to see if it would help. No affects yet.

Tank is also only 3 months old.

9A1CDA1D-1AE6-4257-8517-6BCEFDF758C6.jpeg

762BA9F8-A836-4E1E-B9F3-031068CC394C.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be cyano from what I can see. A pic with all whites instead of blues may be helpful.

@mcarroll would probably tell you to raise your phosphates just a bit.

It may very well go away on its own since the tank is only 3 months old. @mcarroll helped me get through dinos and cyano using no chemicals. It took some patience but have trust in it!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate and Phos at 0 but I assume this is the algae sucking up all the nutrients?

Recently added dr Tim’s waste away to see if it would help. No affects yet.

Tank is also only 3 months old.

Keep your protein skimmer running.

But I would stop anything "extra" like carbon dosing or waste treatments, GFO, et al, until we have a handle on what's blooming. ;)

Can you tell us about how the tank was started, what your test results have been like and what livestock you have already?

(3 months old is probably too soon to have fish, depending how the tank was started.)

OP
OP
Wes17

Wes17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thanks I was about to install my GFO reactor this weekend.

I started it in the end of March with dry rock and used Red Seas reef nature kit. Once cycled(I think ~may 20th) I transferred over what I had in my old small 30G. Probabaky a bad idea to do it all at once but nothing has died and the wife wanted the old tank out of that room ASAP lol.

2 clowns
1 Royal gramma
1 tailspot blenny
1 starry blenny

EF038DAE-086E-4BA6-8162-B6C0BDF762CC.jpeg

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks striking like dinoflagellates.

For now...

STOP doing anything extra you're doing to remove nutrients from the system. Your protein skimmer should be it.

ALSO I would lay my hands on the Seachem or Brightwell nitrate and phosphate fertilizers (or equivalent).

Correct your nutrients asap and bring po4 up to at least 0.10 ppm and no3 up to at least 5-10 ppm.

To confirm if it's dino's...

If you take a sample in a small vial and shake if literally to pieces, then leave it under your lights for a little while (<1 hour), does the sample try to re-coagulate into a mass, or does it just stay settled in pieces?

If it is...

Read up on the first post of this thread and as many of the links there as you can:
Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

For what it's worth, it's definitely too soon for major livestock since you started with dead rock – algae issues should be expected.

Unfortunately the conventional approaches to algae control (which are kinda iffy to begin with) applied in your situation will very often get you dino's.

OP
OP
Wes17

Wes17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks striking like dinoflagellates.

To confirm if it's dino's...

If you take a sample in a small vial and shake if literally to pieces, then leave it under your lights for a little while (<1 hour), does the sample try to re-coagulate into a mass, or does it just stay settled in pieces?

I just did this test and it definitely stayed in little pieces of shredded paper. Its a red/purplish color.

If it is Cyano, which is what I'm starting to lean towards, what are the best steps to naturally get rid of it. Still need to raise po4 & no3? Do not want to go the chemiclean route.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tgat it just seems like cyano!

Yeah, have to stop starving everything else, so establish positive nutrient levels – phosphate is the anchor, but nitrates are important too.

Physical removal of cyano mats via siphoning, scrub with a soft/baby toothbrush if it encroaching on corals.

If it is merely being ugly, you don't actually have to do anything.

What is your CUC right now?

OP
OP
Wes17

Wes17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tgat it just seems like cyano!

Yeah, have to stop starving everything else, so establish positive nutrient levels – phosphate is the anchor, but nitrates are important too.

Physical removal of cyano mats via siphoning, scrub with a soft/baby toothbrush if it encroaching on corals.

If it is merely being ugly, you don't actually have to do anything.

What is your CUC right now?

I have about 12 blue leg hermits and 7-8 Astraea snails, and 1 emerald crab. Its a 60 gallon tank.

Should I be changing the water more than once a week to help the removal along? or does this remove too much nutrients? Also should I feed more to raise the levels as well as the fertilizers? Ive also noticed the one monti frag I've had in there since the start has started to bleach as well. Could this also be related to the 0 po4 and 0 no3?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do some nitrates and phosphates in to the new water change water to avoid impacting the tanks nutrients.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back