ID please? Great hitchhiker!

wesleyclement85

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 18, 2016
Messages
88
Reaction score
38
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a mushroom from my local lfs. He put the rock in the bag. When I got home I noticed this. In the 1st picture so I carefully removed the mushroom so I could set the rock appropriately for this guy. Now today 4 days later it's looking like this 2nd picture. What is it?
1476823873697.jpg
1476823879421.jpg
 
I see tentacles in first pic so I'd say some sort of small brain coral.
Lol I'm sure you know the frustration. I wanna know so bad. It's growing well as it wasn't much noticeable 4 days ago and it looks to be something interesting
 
Manicina areolata/Rose coral a common hitch-hiker, LPS coral to rock from the Caribbean, it's a cool hitch-hiker.
 
Manicina areolata/Rose coral a common hitch-hiker, LPS coral to rock from the Caribbean, it's a cool hitch-hiker.
Can you find a picture or what you are thinking? I looked and none seem to match this. Mine has purplish putter with green center. All the manicina areolata seem to be tan or brown.
 
I have seen green ones, and reddish ones.

To nail down the ID squirt some water at the unknown as it withdraws look for a skeletal structure, then it is an LPS and that looks like a classic Rose coral to me.

:-)
Not my images:

redosecoals.jpg
rosecoal.jpg
 
I have seen green ones, and reddish ones.

To nail down the ID squirt some water at the unknown as it withdraws look for a skeletal structure, then it is an LPS and that looks like a classic Rose coral to me.

:-)
Not my images:

redosecoals.jpg
rosecoal.jpg
Cool. Time will tell it's growing nicely so I'll have better pictures before too long
 
Cool whatever it turns out to be! I was guessing a chalice of some sort, but not an expert of identifying those tiny corals unless I have had them. Coloring up nicely. Great score!
 
Cool whatever it turns out to be! I was guessing a chalice of some sort, but not an expert of identifying those tiny corals unless I have had them. Coloring up nicely. Great score!
I have a Hollywood stunner chalice frag I purchased it's pretty cool gonna be nice. Nice score also for about $10
1476883218568.jpg
.
 
I have had a gorgeous rose coral hitchhiker that was very big (for a hitchhiker) and had the purple rim and green center. Top right in this pic - although hard to see the green center here. It was an awesome "bonus" coral :)

11363784_395527867315834_513468922_n-jpg.263944
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new