ID Please: Growing on my Goni

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this a little on my goni last night and overnight it seems to have taken over a number of polyps. I'm assuming it's a sponge and if so can I simply remove it? ID and any advice appreciated. Thanks.
20200711_092119.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Zenchi

Nice flowerpot. Great coral, unfortunately they alway seem to have a lifespan in home aquariums. Few questions, at nights when polys retract does the white area stay the same? Also, did the white grow over the polyps in that area, or was that area missing polys and the the white filled it in? Last ? I promise, is the white expanding.

My only suggestion right now would be a dip. A 5 minute dip in iodine or lugol’s if you have. Or something along those lines. You could try manual removal, I am not sure what it is so I cannot give advice on that.

OP
OP
Zenchi

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Zenchi

Nice flowerpot. Great coral, unfortunately they alway seem to have a lifespan in home aquariums. Few questions, at nights when polys retract does the white area stay the same? Also, did the white grow over the polyps in that area, or was that area missing polys and the the white filled it in? Last ? I promise, is the white expanding.

My only suggestion right now would be a dip. A 5 minute dip in iodine or lugol’s if you have. Or something along those lines. You could try manual removal, I am not sure what it is so I cannot give advice on that.

White area stays the same at night as far as I can tell, though it seemed to grow overnight. It took over healthy polyps. Yes, the white is expanding.

I did as much manual removal as possible. I also did a few minute freshwater dip as I saw recommended for sponges. Seems to have mostly been removed or fallen off the coral but time will tell. Also noticed it had done some damage to my palys. Both were sitting near sponges.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back