ID Please Need to know what it is before I lose it.

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this is but I would like to know If I should leave it in the tank or remove it...
Sorry about the picture quality it is about the size of a mysis shrimp. It looks to me like a sea star with 2 legs missing.
Any guesses are welcome.

IMG_5283.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this is but I would like to know If I should leave it in the tank or remove it...
Sorry about the picture quality it is about the size of a mysis shrimp. It looks to me like a sea star with 2 legs missing.
Any guesses are welcome.

IMG_5283.jpg
Yes, definately an asterina star. I personally would remove it. If you see one, you have 20 lol. They multiply quickly by dropping legs which regrow into new starfish.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an Asterina star I believe. Some are harmless and eat algae, some eat Zoas or other corals. Some people love them, some people hate them. They can multiply.
Okay I Guess I am going to remove it and hope there aren't more. I do Have a zoa colony and mushrooms so I don't want It eating those. Thank you!

Briansreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes remove or you will have Tons and tons of these in a short period of time. You likely already have many in there so be on the look out to pluck them out.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S
Any guesses are welcome.

IMG_5283.jpg
Seriously... Try looking at the reference threads first...

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S

Seriously... Try looking at the reference threads first...

Okay... but just saying If i saw this picture which is the one that they display for the Asterina starfish I would still have no clue.
1702611592274.png

I mean with how close different things look in the tank Is it worth me spending an hour to find out what it is on my own and let it fall back in the sand? Not sure if you looked at my profile but i'm not exactly experienced in the hobby so I was just looking for some advice. Sorry for asking... I'll make sure to check in that thread first from now on. Thank you.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, asterinas are generally impervious to common coral dips and will latch on during the dip, so if you want to actually remove them you would have to pick them off. In my experience, I have only ever seen them eat zoas and no other coral. I don't like zoas so it's a perfectly fair trade-off haha. My nephews and nieces love seeing the 'baby starfish'.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small ones in my 13.5g that has multiplied to become atleast 25+ and they dont touch any of my corals, all my zoas are alive and well.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asterinas and I will generally pick the visible ones out during water changes. While they can be decent for cleanup crew (CUC), if there are too many / too hungry they can go after some corals. They did a number on my zoas before I started removing, and I still catch them on blastos, tubastraea, and even GSP.

Personally I would remove but you do see many nice tanks here running with asterinas.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, if we're comparing Asterina mine is bigger...

IMG_20231028_135758565.jpg

This guy is about an inch across!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... but just saying If i saw this picture which is the one that they display for the Asterina starfish I would still have no clue.
1702611592274.png

I mean with how close different things look in the tank Is it worth me spending an hour to find out what it is on my own and let it fall back in the sand? Not sure if you looked at my profile but i'm not exactly experienced in the hobby so I was just looking for some advice. Sorry for asking... I'll make sure to check in that thread first from now on. Thank you.
I was going by your subject line... Before anyone "loses it", they might want to do a bit of reading :)

Happy reefing!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was going by your subject line... Before anyone "loses it", they might want to do a bit of reading :)

Happy reefing!
Silly, he meant before the star hides and he can't find it... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back