ID please

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of small patches of this showing up in my reef tank and I am not sure what it is. Any ideas? The branches almost look like feathers and it's growing in clumps.

IMG_5877.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... that looks like bryopsis to me. Your best best is treatment with a full course of flucanozole (e.g., Flux Rx). Most CUC don't like bryopsis and it's nearly impossible to eradicate by any other means.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a couple of small patches of this showing up in my reef tank and I am not sure what it is. Any ideas? The branches almost look like feathers and it's growing in clumps.

IMG_5877.jpeg
Related to bryopsis, its derbesia but treats the same and is a chore. This is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png

OP
OP
D

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Related to bryopsis, its derbesia but treats the same and is a chore. This is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png
Thanks. I’ll add a couple more pin cushions and remove the rocks.

OP
OP
D

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... that looks like bryopsis to me. Your best best is treatment with a full course of flucanozole (e.g., Flux Rx). Most CUC don't like bryopsis and it's nearly impossible to eradicate by any other means.
Great catch, exactly what it is. Thanks.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back