ID PLEASE

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Could someone please help me ID the thing that is coming out of my brain coral? The darn thing wasn’t there before, and tonight was actually the very first time when I have seen that thing. When I have shined the light on it it sort of retracted back inside but not all the way though, and it looks like it is coming from inside the base of the coral. I’ve bought the coral over 3 weeks ago, but since I am new to the hobby, back then I didn’t know that all corals must be dipped prior to entering the tank. My fault for not researching it. I do know this now but besides that brain coral, I have also purchased a toadstool leather, 3 Kenya Trees and few zoas that also didn’t get dipped in “Revive Coral Cleaner”. Now ( of course) I treat all my new frags,but since there were few that have never been treated, assuming that the darn thing is a pest, should I take them out and dip them in Revive? Or should I do something else? Please help me out. I would hate for my corals to get negatively affected by this, or any other unwanted pest. Thank you!!!

4D1BABBE-91FF-4564-83A7-1368C83A735F.jpeg

70F590B8-A1EB-4519-8AE7-5E67BB693C93.jpeg

DD9F1EC6-FAFE-4336-B458-6A0F246010CF.jpeg

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your help!!! I really appreciate it!!!

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this community is simply amazing. The time and effort that everyone in here puts into helping others is just breath taking!

dwolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, aiptasia. Kill it before it spreads.

#Mikedawg would a dip have killed it off?

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy... so how do I kill it? What is the best method for getting rid of her?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will look into getting some soon.

If you can physically remove it, do so ASAP. You can still get the shrimp, but you only have one right now, don’t mess around hoping something eats it all.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, aiptasia. Kill it before it spreads.

#Mikedawg would a dip have killed it off?
I don't know of any dips that make such a claim; aiptasia is a type of anemone and much different than the usual pests that hitchhike on corals I believe.

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove it. I like my peppermint because there could possibly be aiptasia you havent seen yet. Also they are just fun to watch.

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Thank you for all of your responses! I was able to remove that little sucker and as of now none has been spotted in the tank. Hopefully it will stay like that:)

Back