ID Request - Red Plants and Spikey Plant

markak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a Tang or two, mine eat this algae like crazy.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure the coralline w be stressed but it will come back. The good part is no loss of critical bacteria, rock still works same filter

I would support any use of any grazer for this invasion, there's plenty to go around. It will be neat to see to cleaned live rock underneath in a few days!

OP
OP
SaltedWaters

SaltedWaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK cool.

Here is day 3. Not much has changed, it is a little more pink than yesterday. I'm hoping in the next day or two everything will finally die off.

20150628_135337.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we do show up to a 9 day delay depending on thickness of the invasion but eventually it turns loose. .. I'd keep up the water changes tho.

For upcoming areas it would speed up to use a brush or something to get the mass off the rocks first, so the peroxide has less to work on and will go directly towards the left over parts that make the regrowth.

This initial test was for the reception of the target in its strongest condition, as a colony, to prior comparison tanks. by all means hit the areas again if you have easy access

Last edited:

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking better. It's true that the water measurements are not always the cause of over growth algae but also the visual control is helpful. Have you tried apple cider vinegar instead of the peroxide? The acv will bring the ph levels down and neutralize everything.

~CI

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree vinegar is another good attack mode

OP
OP
SaltedWaters

SaltedWaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will give that a try also. I pulled the rocks out of the bucket and pulled off some of the algae and hit the problem areas again with peroxide. Hopefully they will be clear in another day or two and I can start in on the next group of live rock.

Untitled.jpg

OP
OP
SaltedWaters

SaltedWaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my third rock in a bucket. Only three more to go after that, going to be tough. The last two rocks take up almost half the tank and have corals on them.

Here is the transition of the first rock through the Peroxide process.

Pre-trreatment
1.jpg

Few hours after first treatment.

3.jpg

Few days after treatment.

2.jpg

Little more time passes - starts to turn hot pink.

5.jpg

Two weeks later! Algae has turned white with hints of green.

7.jpg

7.jpg

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o thats sharp

:)

and im so happy you followed up, i think about this little challenge every few days. rhodophyta cannot win

it merely delays then lays down like a wounded ground hog. Sure, one or a few w pop up again as ground hogs do, but they'll never be able to colonize like this again and we are not going to recycle your tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more predictions for fun

now we are back to open vital space. sans bad guy, we know some sprigs survived in a few places, they get dealt when needed, but this obligate hitchhiker dna is on the way out. takes time, is predictable.

got bacteria in the recesses still a plenty, we are left now at this start fresh point.

but topically we have reflective, non purple surface...Open real estate in demand

we had to sizzle it free of invasion, and now we can either guide the benthic etablishment back to something like this, purple knurled knuckles of happy coralline and worms
ipuPCN41j

or we can let it self guide through an ugly green algae phase, go gfo crazy, hoping permanently altering the po4 base will save it but still purposely leaving in the tank in case round one wasn't enough heh

Me personally, id opt out of that, straight kill any algae trying to take up my coral space, plant about two hundred bucks of acans, bout eighty bucks sps frags, and possibly some designer zoas in place so that I wasn't watching white rock get settled by algae first as typical, and then coralline as time and grazing allowed.

When, not if green algae comes, its because we just upwelled some nutrients and increased your photo intensity in a spot with zero vital space competition, if we'd have bullseyed it to help them locate it faster maybe they could be helped additionally.

The minor upcoming green algae still in no way implies a po4 issue, its guided cycling that's all. You just beat 90% of this hassle.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have linked this thread to our friends at nano-reef.com, we exchange information constantly and they like seeing invader destruction!
B

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bump

For my old work thread friend. I've shown your post to many

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thread has been a core staple in our peroxide work thread

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back