ID this algae please

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm used to new tank blooms of algae and diatoms. I'm well versed in macro, but this is.... interesting.

Any ideas?

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what algae that is but I do know that H2O2 will destroy it by looking at the algae surface.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what algae that is but I do know that H2O2 will destroy it by looking at the algae surface.

Alright, the only issue I find is that there is macro algae in the tank. Will hydrogen peroxide kill them as well?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat the rocks one at a time taking them out of the tank for treatment. In tank treatment is different than treating a rock.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat the rocks one at a time taking them out of the tank for treatment. In tank treatment is different than treating a rock.
That... may be a an issue. Most of these rocks are epoxyed together to make a structure... lol

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva compressa?

That's what I was hoping for. Months ago in my main macro algae tank I had ulva that grew very very well. I ended up taking a lot of it out and these strings started replacing it. Especially from my HoB filter outtake, it can come down far enough that hermits climb it into the filter.

I associated it with ulva, but since it never took over rocks and was mostly the background I didn't give it much thought. In this new underdeveloped tank it's more prominent and became concerning though.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva compressa?

I have to say again I agree with this. Ulva being the best choice atm.

I left for work this morning and my 29g macro algae tank was clear and great. I came home to it being a bit cloudy, my fiancee said she noticed it was cloudy earlier. Grape caulerpa went sexual earlier, I now see a big clump of ulva coming in.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back