Ideas about a regional frag swap

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I had fun at Nook's last night (thanks for hosting!), and he, myself, and mjcoussens were all discussing how there are corals that are very common in certain regions due to sharing within local communities that are rare elsewhere, which gave me an idea: regional frag swaps. Suppose everyone in Saint Louis has a bunch of X corals with plenty of frags to share, but no one really wants any since they already have it. But in Atlanta, they have a bunch of Y but not so much X. Instead of spending money online to get new frags, there could be a swap of Y for X to get a larger diversity of corals in the community. Of course, I mean more than one type of coral!

Here's what I propose: everyone who is interested in this share in this thread what types of corals you have to share that aren't in high demand here. Please also list how many frags of what you could share, and in what timeframe it would take you to get frags ready. If easily available, pics would be great as well, especially for something not obvious-- pics from online is fine as well as long as it looks like what you have. You can also post things you're looking for, but the realistic goal isn't to find anything specific, just find what other communities have an excess of and if we want any, although a wishlist doesn't hurt. Then I can reach out to another community to see if they're interested and what they have. And we can go from there.

I used Atlanta as an example because I'm from there and there is a sizable reefing community and club there. I propose we start there, and if it's a success, we can reach out to other communities with sizable clubs to continue this. I'm happy to organize at least the trial run with Atlanta.

Obviously, there's going to be some issues in distributing the received frags, but from my initial experience as a new member is that this community is very good at cooperation and sharing. I propose there be a priority for who gets the frags be determined by a combination of 1) those who donated frags to send and 2) who is best equipped to grow them quickly and successfully to then distribute them to other members, especially for the more desirable and/or difficult frags. Any excess would be up for grabs to other members after that.

Let me know if you are interested and what you could donate to the pool!

OP
OP
jolthoff

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a list so I can start compiling it to send to the Atlanta club as part of the proposal!

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, I'm in. I'll set up a google sheet for myself over the next week and make it public.

Once we've pulled this off I think it would be great to get someone with a sizeable social media following (Remy?) to spread the idea around.

Seems to me that those guys over in the DC area have some pretty nice stuff they ought to be sending our way. I make the drive to Michigan often enough, I could easily mule some coral back and forth there as well. :)

OP
OP
jolthoff

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better to post pictures of what is available. I don't always have names for everything.
Pictures would be great, but please also include a description of the type of coral as well (e.g. "blue stylophora". It would be best if you could upload the pictures to a site like imgur so that I could include hyperlinks to the pics when I send this out.

OP
OP
jolthoff

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, I'm in. I'll set up a google sheet for myself over the next week and make it public.

Once we've pulled this off I think it would be great to get someone with a sizeable social media following (Remy?) to spread the idea around.

Seems to me that those guys over in the DC area have some pretty nice stuff they ought to be sending our way. I make the drive to Michigan often enough, I could easily mule some coral back and forth there as well. :)
I've set up a sheet here:

I'm leaving it as public for now where anyone here who clicks on the link can edit, but I might restrict that and have you DM me for access. I've left off a column for member's email since it is currently public, and we can use the DM feature here on Reef2reef.

Ok, for some reason, reef2reef won't let me post just a link to google sheets but automatically changes the format. I've also tried putting in a manual html link, but it also changes it. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolthoff

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea. DM me with your email to access. I'll see if I can update my first post.

OP
OP
jolthoff

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I had fun at Nook's last night (thanks for hosting!), and he, myself, and mjcoussens were all discussing how there are corals that are very common in certain regions due to sharing within local communities that are rare elsewhere, which gave me an idea: regional frag swaps. Suppose everyone in Saint Louis has a bunch of X corals with plenty of frags to share, but no one really wants any since they already have it. But in Atlanta, they have a bunch of Y but not so much X. Instead of spending money online to get new frags, there could be a swap of Y for X to get a larger diversity of corals in the community. Of course, I mean more than one type of coral!

Here's what I propose: everyone who is interested in this share in this thread what types of corals you have to share that aren't in high demand here. Please also list how many frags of what you could share, and in what timeframe it would take you to get frags ready. If easily available, pics would be great as well, especially for something not obvious-- pics from online is fine as well as long as it looks like what you have. You can also post things you're looking for, but the realistic goal isn't to find anything specific, just find what other communities have an excess of and if we want any, although a wishlist doesn't hurt. Then I can reach out to another community to see if they're interested and what they have. And we can go from there.

I used Atlanta as an example because I'm from there and there is a sizable reefing community and club there. I propose we start there, and if it's a success, we can reach out to other communities with sizable clubs to continue this. I'm happy to organize at least the trial run with Atlanta.

Obviously, there's going to be some issues in distributing the received frags, but from my initial experience as a new member is that this community is very good at cooperation and sharing. I propose there be a priority for who gets the frags be determined by a combination of 1) those who donated frags to send and 2) who is best equipped to grow them quickly and successfully to then distribute them to other members, especially for the more desirable and/or difficult frags. Any excess would be up for grabs to other members after that.

Let me know if you are interested and what you could donate to the pool!
Ok, it won't let me edit the original post, so I'll add it here and hope people read this far down.

If you'd like to add yourself to the list, DM me with your email address and I'll send you a link to access the sheet.

OP
OP
jolthoff

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, shoot me a DM with your email and I'll add you to the google sheet.

OP
OP
jolthoff

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to bump this to the top-- I'm going to reach out to the Atlanta club soon, so I'd like to get a few more people to sign up/fill out the google sheet. Don't need to have everything before I start the discussion, but I'd like to have a little better idea of what we've got before I reach out. Also, if you have messaged me but not yet filled out the google sheet, please do. For new people, message me on here with your email address and I'll add you to the google sheet. Thanks!

OP
OP
jolthoff

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bump-- waiting on a few more people to send me their info before I reach out to other clubs. Please get that info in soon if you can. If you are interested and haven't messaged me yet, please do so ASAP. Thanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back