Ideas on fish to add to a 60ish gallon mixed reef

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not adding anything for at least a couple of months, but I like to plan ahead. I had a 32g Biocube that I recently upgraded to a 60ish gallon (I say ish because the dimensions are really 70g but it's 1/2" acrylic so closer to 60g). Dimensions are 36X24, 18" high.

1641995301114.png

Longtime Fish transferred from old tank (yes, it was heavily stocked as I'd been planning the upgrade):
Flame Angel
Midas Blenny
Oscellaris Clown
Firefish
Green Clown Goby
Six Line Wrasse (peaceful guy, knocking on wood, had him for 14 months)

New fish added recently:
Tomini Tang
Exquisite Wrasse

I haven't seen any aggression in the tank. The exquisite wrasse is very outgoing and an aggressive eater, so he has the potential for aggression perhaps. Flame angel, at adding the tang and wrasse, did a fair amount of tail shaking until I turned the lights off for the day, and has been fine since.

The tank seems pretty active right now. I had been considering adding a single, hardy anthias like a Bartlett's, but I'm thinking they may not do well with assertive tank mates. I really like two-spot or candy hogfish, but a third wrasse may be a bad idea. I'd love to add a hawkfish but I love my shrimp (skunk cleaner and fire shrimp, plus two peppermints)

Here are thoughts I have for potential new fish. I feel like I could add 1 more fish, or 2 if they're small. I'm not looking for anything difficult to keep (the anthias is iffy for me)

Bartlett's Anthias
Candy Hogfish
Bella Goby
Black cap basslet
Chalk basslet

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sake of the current fishes, don't add any new fish into that tiny system. If they are getting along ok now then I recommend you don't push it. No one wants to accept this, but as a pal to you and the fishes; " You're good already" That is Enough!

Hungry Dinner Time GIF by Arrow Video

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not adding anything for at least a couple of months, but I like to plan ahead. I had a 32g Biocube that I recently upgraded to a 60ish gallon (I say ish because the dimensions are really 70g but it's 1/2" acrylic so closer to 60g). Dimensions are 36X24, 18" high.

1641995301114.png

Longtime Fish transferred from old tank (yes, it was heavily stocked as I'd been planning the upgrade):
Flame Angel
Midas Blenny
Oscellaris Clown
Firefish
Green Clown Goby

New fish added recently:
Tomini Tang
Exquisite Wrasse

I haven't seen any aggression in the tank. The exquisite wrasse is very outgoing and an aggressive eater, so he has the potential for aggression perhaps. Flame angel, at adding the tang and wrasse, did a fair amount of tail shaking until I turned the lights off for the day, and has been fine since.

The tank seems pretty active right now. I had been considering adding a single, hardy anthias like a Bartlett's, but I'm thinking they may not do well with assertive tank mates. I really like two-spot or candy hogfish, but a third wrasse may be a bad idea. I'd love to add a hawkfish but I love my shrimp (skunk cleaner and fire shrimp, plus two peppermints)

Here are thoughts I have for potential new fish. I feel like I could add 1 more fish, or 2 if they're small. I'm not looking for anything difficult to keep (the anthias is iffy for me)

Bartlett's Anthias
Candy Hogfish
Bella Goby
Black cap basslet
Chalk basslet
how does the firefish go with the tang and the flame angel? is there any agression towards the firefish?

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does the firefish go with the tang and the flame angel? is there any agression towards the firefish?
No, they pretty much ignore him, though he only comes out of his cave a couple of times a day

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 fish in a 60-gallon isn't really overstocked. If you did add anything else I'd stick to fish that are goojg to occupy different regions, ie: basslets or dottybacks for the rock, a flame hawkfish, maybe some lyretail anthais, dartfish or firefish, etc.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 fish in a 60-gallon isn't really overstocked. If you did add anything else I'd stick to fish that are goojg to occupy different regions, ie: basslets or dottybacks for the rock, a flame hawkfish, maybe some lyretail anthais, dartfish or firefish, etc.
I agree 100%

I have 14 fish in my 80G cube. Although most are considered "nano" fish, so are rather small, I do have 3 larger fish. A yellow coris 3+", my blue eyed kole, and lemon peel angel.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, unless there is aggression, not enough hiding spots, or competition for food, only hting that limits your stocking is your filtration.

If your filtration can't keep up, and crap is accumulating, then your overstocked.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1641995301114.png

Flame Angel
Midas Blenny
Oscellaris Clown
Firefish
Green Clown Goby

New fish added recently:
Tomini Tang
Exquisite Wrasse

Bartlett's Anthias
Candy Hogfish
Bella Goby
Black cap basslet
Chalk basslet
I have a 56 gallon tank with:
3 yellowtail damsels,
1 tomini tang,
1 coral beauty angel,
1 pajama cardinal,
1 Royal Gramma,
1 barnacle blenny,
1 ocellaris clown,
1 Midas blenny,
1 yellow watchman goby.

Some of your fish are similar to mine, you probably could add a couple of cardinalfish that occupy the top third of the water column, and also a YWG that stays down on the sandbed (if your tank has sand). I love my barnacle blenny and plan to get more. All they need is a tiny hole in the rock where they will reside peeking out until food is put in the tank. Then they dart out at lightening speed to eat.

I will say my yellowtail damsels are always skirmishing with each other and occasionally tangle with the clown or the Coral beauty, although it never very serious. Damsels are just feisty by nature, even the more docile ones like yellowtails.

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back