Identification of critters please

trigon 350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Hoping for some help, my first saltwater aquarium is around 4 months old, with some lps, sps and softies.
I have 2 clowns, 1 sailfin tang, diamond goby and a gramma royal.

So i had a huge outbreak of copepods recently, but a new outbreak is appearing on the glass.
At first thought these are flat worms, but these are very small, around 2x the size of the copepods and are laying eggs on the glass. Im assuming the eggs are from these and not the pods.
20231022_120618.jpg

20231023_191006.jpg

Size of copepod on left compared to mistery critter, seriously zoomed in, even with a magnifying glass i cant get a good view as so small
20231023_190812.jpg

The eggs

There is a link below to a video someone posted, the video of them roaming on the glass is exactly what i have.

I have ordered flatworm exit but dont really want to add it if its not the issue.

Thanks for reading

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell from the photos but I expect that whatever they are, their population will fall off quickly... We get so many micro-critters in our tanks, especially when they are new... I also wonder if you've been feeding heavily which may have led to the population increase.

Good free food for your clowns though!

OP
OP
T

trigon 350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, 2x the size of which copepods? They could just be another species...
Oh sorry im very new to the hobby, didn't know there was loads of different types of copepods . Silly me, i don't know which i have just my photo with a red circle on the left, these ones hop around are tiny and the clowns love them.
These other things dont seem to jump.
I tried everything to get a close enough view, but even with a magnifying glass its no use.
From the video on the link and from what ive described, do you think they are flat worms?
Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back