Identification of white crusty patch on Majestic Angel

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5” Majestic Angel is acting and eating normally, but I noticed this white crusty looking patch just on one side of his body as shown in the attached picture/video. Does anyone know what this is, what could have caused it and the best course of action to treat it before it gets worse. I first noticed the latch a few days ago.

7A14F7BD-9FAD-4DBD-9AD0-A6764C9FFC10.jpeg 062B91B2-C16E-4888-81CB-EB06CE46AEEE.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6956.MOV
    6.4 MB
  • IMG_6955.MOV
    14.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say without more background info (and maybe tough even then!). Here is a link to some additional information that is helpful for us to know, beyond the pictures and video:

It looks fairly innocuous, but the location is problematic - if the lesion becomes deeper, it can perforate the body wall. Do you have a treatment tank? If not, really the only treatment option would be Focus with some broad spectrum, safe antibiotic like Neoplex.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say without more background info (and maybe tough even then!). Here is a link to some additional information that is helpful for us to know, beyond the pictures and video:

It looks fairly innocuous, but the location is problematic - if the lesion becomes deeper, it can perforate the body wall. Do you have a treatment tank? If not, really the only treatment option would be Focus with some broad spectrum, safe antibiotic like Neoplex.

Jay
Day 3 post noticing the while patch

Not much of a change in the appearance and/or area of coverage of the white patch. There is now a white line on Majestic’s forehead too, but he may have just scraped against a rock, not sure.

Here are my Aquarium/water parameters:

3 year old, 425G (including 75G sump and auxiliary tanks) FOWLR aquarium.
Temperature 78-79F,
8.2-8.4
Temperature. 78-79F, SG 1.021,
pH: 8.2-8.4,
Ammonia 0.0ppm,
Nitrite. 0.0 ppm
Nitrate. 20-30 ppm
Phosphorus. 0.08 ppm
Copper. None

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 post noticing the while patch

Not much of a change in the appearance and/or area of coverage of the white patch. There is now a white line on Majestic’s forehead too, but he may have just scraped against a rock, not sure.

Here are my Aquarium/water parameters:

3 year old, 425G (including 75G sump and auxiliary tanks) FOWLR aquarium.
Temperature 78-79F,
8.2-8.4
Temperature. 78-79F, SG 1.021,
pH: 8.2-8.4,
Ammonia 0.0ppm,
Nitrite. 0.0 ppm
Nitrate. 20-30 ppm
Phosphorus. 0.08 ppm
Copper. None

O.K., everything is in order there. I guess I would stick with my previous advice.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Thanks Jay.... I do have an uxiliary tank connected to DT that I can isolate from DT. If I manage to catch Majestic, what sort of treatment do you suggest. Assuming that the condition gets worse, which is not, but I want to be prepared just in case. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appears bacterial.
Nitrate 20-30 and ammonia zero- are you using API test kit by chance?

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 131 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back