Small black dot on clown fish

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. The other day I was at my lfs looking to purchase a pair of Wyoming white clowns for my new tank. I watched them in the store, checking to see if I saw any issues with the fish. They seemed fine to me. They were under blue light so it was harder to see. Once I got home and put them in the tank after dripping I waited till the next day to turn the lights on. When I did I noticed a small black dot right above the females right gill.it does appear to be sticking out from here slightly. About the size of a grain of salt. The male is totally clean and free of any dots. I am concerned it is some kind of parasite or disease. I live in Canada we’re formalin is banned so there isn’t much I can do but maybe try and order something of Amazon but idk. Maybe something fritz offers.

I had purchased a gold eye bristle tooth tang about four weeks prior and it came out of the same system. The lfs has a tank with the tangs and a tank for the clowns which are on the same system so I also thought they are healthier too cause my tang is doing amazing. The tang has no spots or dots and is eating algae off my clip and crazing my rocks all day.so is the coral beauty angel. The tang and the Wyoming white clowns are in to different tanks right now. I have a 75 dt with 20 gallon sump with 2 black ice clowns, a coral beauty and a golden eye bristle tooth tang. They are all doing great.

The tank parameters for the Wyoming whites (dot fish) are:

Tank. Fluval sea evo 13.5 with extra ceramic media. Tank is Already cycled prior to adding any live stock. Weekly 2 gallon water changes with rodi water.

Salinity. 1.025
Ph.8
Nitrite. 0ppm
Nitrate. 0-5ppm
Ammonia. 0-0.25ppm (but have dosed Seachem pristine which is known to give false positives of 0.25-0.50ppm from research)

If anyone would have some advice or info on what the black dot could be that would be greatly appreciated. (For all I know I could just be she has a black dot and it’s just her colouration but better safe then sorry). Thank you. Much appreciated.

0673F013-F1A9-4F5E-A37D-CB5F660267EA.jpeg

Last edited:

jay1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. The other day I was at my lfs looking to purchase a pair of Wyoming white clowns for my new tank. I watched them in the store, checking to see if I saw any issues with the fish. They seemed fine to me. They were under blue light so it was harder to see. Once I got home and put them in the tank after dripping I waited till the next day to turn the lights on. When I did I noticed a small black dot right above the females right gill.it does appear to be sticking out from here slightly. About the size of a grain of salt. The male is totally clean and free of any dots. I am concerned it is some kind of parasite or disease. I live in Canada we’re formalin is banned so there isn’t much I can do but maybe try and order something of Amazon but idk. Maybe something fritz offers.

I had purchased a gold eye bristle tooth tang about four weeks prior and it came out of the same system. The lfs has a tank with the tangs and a tank for the clowns which are on the same system so I also thought they are healthier too cause my tang is doing amazing. The tang has no spots or dots and is eating algae off my clip and crazing my rocks all day.so is the coral beauty angel. The tang and the Wyoming white clowns are in to different tanks right now. I have a 75 dt with 20 gallon sump with 2 black ice clowns, a coral beauty and a golden eye bristle tooth tang. They are all doing great.

The tank parameters for the Wyoming whites (dot fish) are:

Tank. Fluval sea evo 13.5 with extra ceramic media. Tank is Already cycled prior to adding any live stock. Weekly 2 gallon water changes with rodi water.

Salinity. 1.025
Ph.8
Nitrite. 0ppm
Nitrate. 0-5ppm
Ammonia. 0-0.25ppm (but have dosed Seachem pristine which is known to give false positives of 0.25-0.50ppm from research)

If anyone would have some advice or info on what the black dot could be that would be greatly appreciated. (For all I know I could just be she has a black dot and it’s just her colouration but better safe then sorry). Thank you. Much appreciated.

0673F013-F1A9-4F5E-A37D-CB5F660267EA.jpeg
If it has been in a tank with nems and it likes nems it could be a sting mark!Had black oscelaris clowns that had sting marks from playing in elegance coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back