Identify issues

Oaken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I came home and noticed my magicians were curling and knew it wasnt normal. This morning i woke up and all my zoanthids and even my duncan were closed up and never have so i tested as much as i could before work.

Salinity 1.026
Alk 8
Calc untested (ran out of time)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 ( take is 10 weeks old) got to fix this
Temp 78

135g tank with 3 vipar spectra black box running 7.5 hrs a day 2 hrs of blue total one at start one at end.

First photo is the initial zoa doing it last one is all mine looking unhealthy, they have been in the tank 2-3 weeks.
20181114_163408.jpeg
20181115_060118.jpeg
20181115_060200.jpeg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have these corals been in your tank? Am I reading right that this tank is 10 weeks old?

OP
OP
Oaken

Oaken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have these corals been in your tank? Am I reading right that this tank is 10 weeks old?
Yeah, it cycled at 4 weeks when I had my nitrates spike and ammonia dropped to 0. I know most people on here are gonna say wait a year or something but I've seen it both ways from friends with really successful tanks.

OP
OP
Oaken

Oaken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it cycled at 4 weeks when I had my nitrates spike and ammonia dropped to 0. I know most people on here are gonna say wait a year or something but I've seen it both ways from friends with really successful tanks.
The corals have been in around 3 weeks they were given to me by a friend

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fairly young tank, but you know that.

How are you testing? Sudden changes in all of your corals points to something systemic rather than a critter bothering them, but what inhabitants do you have?

OP
OP
Oaken

Oaken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fairly young tank, but you know that.

How are you testing? Sudden changes in all of your corals points to something systemic rather than a critter bothering them, but what inhabitants do you have?
Salifert and red sea kits. I have a fire fish, blenny, and 2 clowns and a cuc

OP
OP
Oaken

Oaken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters look okay to me. My question is the swings that might have happened. Continue to monitor parameters and keep us posted.
I will thanks. I did do a 15-20% wc sunday, so that might be it... I'm leaving tomorrow for the weekend

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there is much of a parameter swing in a tank with minimal corals.

Have you changed anything at all about the tank recently? New pump, adjusted your lights, added carbon, etc. etc.?

OP
OP
Oaken

Oaken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you changed anything at all about the tank recently? New pump, adjusted your lights, added carbon, etc. etc.?
I did a 15-20% water change Sunday and matched salinity and temps. I turned skimmer off and on a lot trying to build nitrates also I over fed brine a bit to build bacteria. It's going through a small algae outbreak green algae, already had diatoms

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, first big piece of advice is you need to slow down. I know, I know.... Everyone says it, but what does it mean, yada yada yada.

You're tank is brand new and you already have four fish, a bunch of corals and you're starting to chase parameters. This is going to ultimately become a huge headache for you if you keep on chasing everything. What you're describing with algae and diatoms is what we lovingly call "the uglies." Before a tank gets through this it is still in the late stages of cycling from my perspective. These nuisances pop up because there are imbalances that still haven't equalized.

At this stage in your tank's life (and really at all stages) stability is key. Don't fiddle with your skimmer to mess with nutrients because then you're messing with your pH swings. You don't need to chase a pH level unless you are outside of the safe range, but staying within your normal daily range is important. Don't try and drive up your nutrients at this point either. If you have algae, you have nutrients.

My advice to you right now is to turn your skimmer on, feed your fish no more than what they can consume within 60 seconds twice a day, and do weekly or biweekly 10-20% water changes. Let things settle out and don't worry about chasing numbers. This is supposed to be fun and constantly fighting this or that isn't fun in my book :)

OP
OP
Oaken

Oaken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, first big piece of advice is you need to slow down. I know, I know.... Everyone says it, but what does it mean, yada yada yada.

You're tank is brand new and you already have four fish, a bunch of corals and you're starting to chase parameters. This is going to ultimately become a huge headache for you if you keep on chasing everything. What you're describing with algae and diatoms is what we lovingly call "the uglies." Before a tank gets through this it is still in the late stages of cycling from my perspective. These nuisances pop up because there are imbalances that still haven't equalized.

At this stage in your tank's life (and really at all stages) stability is key. Don't fiddle with your skimmer to mess with nutrients because then you're messing with your pH swings. You don't need to chase a pH level unless you are outside of the safe range, but staying within your normal daily range is important. Don't try and drive up your nutrients at this point either. If you have algae, you have nutrients.

My advice to you right now is to turn your skimmer on, feed your fish no more than what they can consume within 60 seconds twice a day, and do weekly or biweekly 10-20% water changes. Let things settle out and don't worry about chasing numbers. This is supposed to be fun and constantly fighting this or that isn't fun in my book :)
I had a huge diatom outbreak at week 3 then I added a cuc small and it went away in a week that is when I stocked my first fish. After that all has been good till this small green algae and then the corals.

OP
OP
Oaken

Oaken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh and thank you for the awesome advice.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will thanks. I did do a 15-20% wc sunday, so that might be it... I'm leaving tomorrow for the weekend
Water change is always a good idea and something that I always recommend.

My thought was not with coral, but with a new tank. As you had mentioned, most people, especially those new to the hobby, tend to try to correct mistakes and end up with bigger issues at hand then what they started with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back