Identify please

BlueCollarJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2026
Messages
35
Reaction score
18
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of these little things that look like baby xenia or anthellia but it doesn't grow into colonies. They seem to be sensitive to movement/light and will close up almost immediately. Any ideas what this is?
5e6142f4-f65c-40fb-9a48-36d5c53415c1.jpg
cf6e0380-1eb4-4ddc-9db0-701d5fe39ec9.jpg
 
I would say it's some feather duster tube worm (Sabellidae or Serpulidae)
 
They look almost like feather dusters based on the tubes they are coming out of. Did you get live rock from somewhere?
 
Thanks all! Yes I started with live rock from the LFS but also added rock from another tank I purchased. Thanks for the identification! Glad to hear they are harmless
 
I have a bunch of these little things that look like baby xenia or anthellia but it doesn't grow into colonies. They seem to be sensitive to movement/light and will close up almost immediately. Any ideas what this is?
5e6142f4-f65c-40fb-9a48-36d5c53415c1.jpg
cf6e0380-1eb4-4ddc-9db0-701d5fe39ec9.jpg
Looks a lot like a feather duster
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new