Identity a fish and it is reef-safe

dzh73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am new at this forum. Long time ago, my friend gave me some fish before he exited this hobby. One of fish got bigger over times to the tune of about 3.5 inches, I am afraid he might get even bigger and pose a threat to corals and other peaceful/small fish.
Anyone know its exact name? Is it reef-safe?

20230327_184051.jpg

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be a bowtie damselfish . I may be wrong, but It definitely looks to be a damsel. I have heard bowties tend to be very aggressive towards other tank mates. I read they are reef safe with caution. Which I’m guessing means he may pick as certain corals if tempted to.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a damselfish but i dont think it is a bowtie, bowtie have a full black tail from what I have seen. Unsure what species as there are a lot of damsels and most people dont have huge ones like that. Given that it is a large damsel it will most likely be territorial, especially towards new fish. If it doesnt bother anything I would just leave it in the tank

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be Neoglyphidodon melas (the Bluefin/Black/Bowtie Damselfish) as well - but I've only seen one with the tail not fully colored yet and the tail fin still fully translucent like this (the tip of the tail and the tips of the fins near it seem to be the last to transition from juvenile color to adult color):
Some others with just the very tips of the tail/fins still translucent (it looks like they might never fully darken for some adults):
1679964339360.png

Source:
1679964378187.png

Source:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back