If 1 protein skimmer is not enough, can I run 2 ?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one protein skimmer in my sump. My fish are getting big big big now and I think my filtration is not quite keeping up. I have three large tangs that were all 2-3" when introduced and more like 8-9" now. If i have room in the sump for a second protein skimmer, is there any reason to not set up a second protein skimmer when there is already one running? Like stupid question, but would running two simultaneous somehow make them both less effective than just running one? Never seen anyone run 2 skimmers, and don't know if there is a reason or just because they don't need a second

- Skimmer Cup has been filling much quicker
- Filter socks have been needing swapped more often
- Had to run UV sterilizer more hours/day for water clarity issues
- Have had to start feeding more at a time because the 17 fatties are never full

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 for many years.
Got tired of the noise and just bought a bigger one.
One doesn't cancel the other out they both worked great.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is a way to direct the flow optimally, the 2nd one usually doesn’t have as much to skim.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running 2 as well. 3-4 years now... the weird thing is they're 2 different brands and the smells are different between cleaning them. Which leads me to think that the different bubble sizes play a bigger role in what they pull out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for all the answers! I did flirt with the idea of getting one larger skimmer, but i have two sections in my 55 gallon sump, one has the skimmer and one just some rocks that would be really easy to put the second skimmer. I think I'll start checking out the ol' FB marketplace and set up #2.

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 4 protein skimmers at one time.
I came across the skimmers over time at good prices so I added them.

Eventually the skimmers compete with each other, meaning one skimmer will be dirty and others not so dirty.

Do not expect 2 skimmers to bring your nutrients to zero.
1 skimmer can do that if you have like 1 fish or no fish.

I had 4 good skimmers but like 35 fish and nutrients were always more than zero.

Eventually it gets annoying having to clean more items.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run multiple skimmers in the past without issues. It doubles the maintenance to maintain both. I have since moved to a single skimmer in each tank and am much happier with that configuration.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for all the answers! I did flirt with the idea of getting one larger skimmer, but i have two sections in my 55 gallon sump, one has the skimmer and one just some rocks that would be really easy to put the second skimmer. I think I'll start checking out the ol' FB marketplace and set up #2.
I have an older Reef Octo 150 with a new pump I replaced a couple years ago that was only run for year if that. $75 + shipping if you are interested. The pump alone is that much.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run multiple skimmers on every tank. Brands and efficiency aside, two or three skimmers will outperform a single larger one.

I usually mix a needle wheel with a Venturi or Beckett. In one of my tanks, I have an older EuroReef, Tunze and a LifeReef - all three of these skim like they were the only one in the tank, but they are all better than most on the market.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, but run the skimmer a bit wetter. If you have a drain plug (mine does), could you just run tubbing to a larger container, like a 5 gallon bucket.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, but run the skimmer a bit wetter. If you have a drain plug (mine does), could you just run tubbing to a larger container, like a 5 gallon bucket.
Its what I do.... just make sure that you have an auto shut off on the skimmer, the drain tube is taking liquid "out of the system volume". so if it overflows your ato will kick in and lower your salinity. Also your salinity will drop faster over time due to the ATO compensating. @o2manyfish crashed on of his systems that way I believe when the protien skimmer went into over drive.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one protein skimmer in my sump. My fish are getting big big big now and I think my filtration is not quite keeping up. I have three large tangs that were all 2-3" when introduced and more like 8-9" now. If i have room in the sump for a second protein skimmer, is there any reason to not set up a second protein skimmer when there is already one running? Like stupid question, but would running two simultaneous somehow make them both less effective than just running one? Never seen anyone run 2 skimmers, and don't know if there is a reason or just because they don't need a second

- Have had to start feeding more at a time because the 17 fatties are never full
What does the trend on nutrients show, are they continuously rising week to week?

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the trend on nutrients show, are they continuously rising week to week?
Oh boy... I know this is not the place to admit this, but i have really only been testing with quarterly ICP tests. I really need to invest in some Hanna testers , was using the salifert for nitrate and tropic marin for phosphate and i just cant tell any difference between the colors. I don't really change much, weekly 20 gallon water change and clean the sump at the same time, kalk in the top off water and 2 part with additional magnesium, been doing the same for about 10 months now. no new additions so the growing fish really is only thing i can think that would create the dirtier glass and sand bed that what i usually deal with. idk why i torture myself over and over in this hobby but i think i am going to try and 3D print a protein skimmer, see if i cant just figure out how they work and make one myself. here goes nothing! lol

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both reef octo 150 classic and space saver 150. BOTH PULL organics daily as I feed my fishes, multiple angels and triggers daily 2 to 3x everyday.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy... I know this is not the place to admit this, but i have really only been testing with quarterly ICP tests. I really need to invest in some Hanna testers , was using the salifert for nitrate and tropic marin for phosphate and i just cant tell any difference between the colors. I don't really change much, weekly 20 gallon water change and clean the sump at the same time, kalk in the top off water and 2 part with additional magnesium, been doing the same for about 10 months now. no new additions so the growing fish really is only thing i can think that would create the dirtier glass and sand bed that what i usually deal with. idk why i torture myself over and over in this hobby but i think i am going to try and 3D print a protein skimmer, see if i cant just figure out how they work and make one myself. here goes nothing! lol
Very honest of you.
I find it next to impossible to get great results without monitoring chemistry.
While it might run well for awhile, down the road chemistry changes and I don’t see that quick enough without getting some read on levels.
I ended up spending way way more correcting the results of unstable chemistry, than I spent on the kits.
Nitrate should be easy to see on most kits, but the only consistent read I ever got on phosphate was the Hanna UL Phosphorus tester. Initial cost high, but after that, just the reagent around $15 for 25 tests.

If we employ too much filtration in the early days, we can strip that water of nutrients which all life needs to live and thrive.

douglasbnyhof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just pulled my skimmer out and rely on a huge ball of macro. So far it’s keeping up better than the skimmer was.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your much better off with an algae scrubber and ditch the skimmer

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure, run two at once. If they are similar in size, you would be doubling the rate of removal but not go below the level of skimmable stuff then one would achieve, i.e. you can’t over skim. If one is better than the other, it just means it will remove move stuff than the other, the proportions probably remaining the same until the skimmables become depleted. Hard to say off hand when one big one is better than two smaller ones

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back