If at first you don’t succeed…hope you wife likes the tank

TXMarshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef 2 Reef,

I’m in the early stages of rebuilding my 120 gallon mixed reef aquarium. When we lived in Atlanta we had an amazing LFS store (Pure Reef) just around the corner from our house. We were spoiled and didn’t even know it. They got me into the hobby and the tank was doing really well. When we moved to Texas a few years ago I put the hobby on the back shelf, but walking past my beautiful tank all empty, dusty and sad looking got me wanting to try again. As you might imagine, most of my equipment didn’t so we’ll just sitting in the garage for three years so I had to purchase a lot of new things. I made the mistake of trying to do things on the cheap by buying some inferior and underpowered equipment and omitting other equipment all together. I thought if I just started out FOWLR, how hard could it be? Well, I’m here to tell you that springing for the right equipment is far less expensive and traumatic than having to replace fish that had become beloved pets.

So here I am, a little older and a little wiser, starting to rebuild the tank again. A quick shout out to my wife. When I wanted to stop the sucking sound in my wallet and give up, she pushed me to buy better equipment and try, try again. Seriously?! Who has a wife that says that?? I’m a lucky man.

I just purchased and installed a Sicce Syncra 7.0 pump. (That thing is amazing!!) My flow problem is solved. I have a Red Sea Reefer RSK-300 skimmer on its way. The sump is nearly in the right spot. I do have a question…someone gave me some GrowKing LED lights. They work, much better than the two Reef Breeders you see in the picture, but I can’t find a manual for them. And I can’t find a serial number on the lights. Any idea where I can find a manual??
Wish me luck!!!
67DF3D90-0B7C-4A0A-B423-169947A9181B.jpeg

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a lucky man indeed! Make sure she knows it!

And welcome to Texas ... I'm next door in Dallas county.

Check out DFWMAS ... there's always someone on there looking to sell or trade equipment so you might be able to find what you need and save a few bucks.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out DFWMAS ... there's always someone on there looking to sell or trade equipment so you might be able to find what you need and save a few bucks.

is DFWMAS still active? I tried to check a couple of times this year, but the forums seem pretty sparse. Curious to see where everyone else locally is hanging out at.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have never left the A T L!!! ;Hilarious :p

Glad to see it coming back together.

OP
OP
TXMarshall

TXMarshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to meet you, TexanCanuck. I let her choose the fish she likes. It’s our own version of a symbiotic relationship. Ha ha. And thank you for the DFwMAS link, I think I’ll join that water chemistry zoom meeting next month, looks interesting.

OP
OP
TXMarshall

TXMarshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have never left the A T L!!! ;Hilarious :p

Glad to see it coming back together.
I want to laugh, but it hurts! Ha ha. We loved Atlanta and miss it. If you are anywhere near Alpharetta, you should check out Pure Reef. George and his staff are the absolute best LFS owners I’ve ever met. Whenever we get the chance to visit we make their store one of our first stops and they welcome us back like family.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to laugh, but it hurts! Ha ha. We loved Atlanta and miss it. If you are anywhere near Alpharetta, you should check out Pure Reef. George and his staff are the absolute best LFS owners I’ve ever met. Whenever we get the chance to visit we make their store one of our first stops and they welcome us back like family.
I've been to Pure Reef several times. I bought my first tank from them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back