OP
OP
Joekovar

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a mystic sunset montipora that's finally starting to grow onto one of the thinner columns. I added another unknown montipora on the same column. Still aiming to have plating corals kinda bridge between the two thin columns.

My favorite Acan, which I think may be a micromusa, is starting to grow onto the large column. The other Acans are growing now that I'm getting my phosphates in check with phosphate Rx.

I've had a 4" cynarina for about a week, and it's a lot of fun to target feed.

My absolute favorite coral, what I thought was a dragon soul favia, but I think may be a prism gonastrea, is spreading onto the rocks in the center nicely. It's definitely happier than anything else.

My duncans and red/teal blastomusa both have 4 obvious new heads developing. I picked up a yellow blastomusa to complement the red this weekend.

Still using my ghetto skimmer and quilt batting filter. Along with Petco carbon infused pad.

Picked up Hanna phosphate, nitrite (by mistake...) And dkh testers which make life easier. Using "add drips till the color changes" kits for calcium and magnesium which isn't too much of a chore. Digital ph tester, which I noticed has read a dip to about 7.3 pH right before both times I've had algae blooms. I still like the refractometer for salinity.

OP
OP
Joekovar

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solved my creeping dkh issue. LFS had a decent sized colony of spongodes they were trying to get rid of because it sucks up dkh.

I've had it for 8 days, and for the first time my dkh actually went down a point over the week instead of creep up.

IMG_20200608_183054821.jpg

OP
OP
Joekovar

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my algae issue under control by changing my feeding habits and a combination of dosing vodka and phosphate Rx.

The addition of a 3rd aquaknight light and turning the blues to 100% as well as letting 2 of the whites fluctuate up to 25% has my various montipora growing and coloring up nicely, though I think I need to tone them down a little because my LPS looks unhappy and even a small mystic sunset Monti frag on the bottom of the tank is growing like a weed.

I've got something like 55 different species of fish, coral, and invertebrates now. Just picked up two cheap small acro frags see how they do given how well the montis are doing.

Still using the ghetto skimmer, but I've added a canister filter which has made a big difference.

I'm afraid of my emerald crab... It looks like something out of a Godzilla movie crawling around.

OP
OP
Joekovar

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the middle brace has cracked and I've got a bar clamp keeping the glass from bowing out right now.

This was my first saltwater aquarium, and the first aquarium I've had in probably 30 years. I learned a LOT.

Here's one last photo before I break the tank down. I'm going to see if I can trade my way into a tank better suited for a reef, and start over.

IMG_20230521_163232998.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the middle brace has cracked and I've got a bar clamp keeping the glass from bowing out right now.

This was my first saltwater aquarium, and the first aquarium I've had in probably 30 years. I learned a LOT.

Here's one last photo before I break the tank down. I'm going to see if I can trade my way into a tank better suited for a reef, and start over.

IMG_20230521_163232998.jpg
Sorry to hear about your brace cracking! Best of luck to moving everything

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back