OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry you have it up, but I think that you’ll end up getting another one. There’s nothing like them.
Thanks! I hope I do get one in the future. I totally agree there is just nothing like them. It was always full and large, and totally brought life to the tank. The hammer colony seems good though! My clowns sure love it!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is karma right here. The universe telling me I should have kept the elegance instead of swapping it with this.
FEC8C8DD-0D08-46FA-9B1F-EBA3C6A199BC.jpeg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sad ...

The worse part is , I can’t keep elegance alive so would have swapped too .
Tried twice years back ....success about 4-5 months then hard fails . Saw a few glorious looking specimens today lol, and was tempted. So what gives, is it the nitrates need to remain higher? Mine are always low... lighting needs to be quite strong? Needs dosing?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it was a "darned if I do, darned if I don't" scenario, where I either would have faced ECS if I kept it, but now I'm facing BJD in my new hammer coral. The only issue I have in the current scenario is that my other LPS are now at risk (though I did take the dead hammer out), something that would have been avoided with ECS. Oh, well. Live and learn, I guess.....

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it was a "darned if I do, darned if I don't" scenario, where I either would have faced ECS if I kept it, but now I'm facing BJD in my new hammer coral. The only issue I have in the current scenario is that my other LPS are now at risk (though I did take the dead hammer out), something that would have been avoided with ECS. Oh, well. Live and learn, I guess.....
How old is your tank? Do they still have that elegance? You should get it again if they do. Don't be discouraged. I've lost many coral, you'll eventually figure out what works for your tank and what doesn't.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Do they still have that elegance? You should get it again if they do. Don't be discouraged. I've lost many coral, you'll eventually figure out what works for your tank and what doesn't.
The tank is nearing 7 months old. I actually went to the LFS over the weekend to buy a rock which would provide shade (my hammer was unhappy because of too much light), and they had a whole line of elegance coral, one of which bared a similar resemblance to mine (could have been mine maturing in color, or a different one...). I was tempted to get it but didn't, in fear that the hammer may have had BJD (I assumed correctly, I guess), so I didn't want to get anything new or expensive. Once I know that my other LPS are ok, then I'll look back into it.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is nearing 7 months old. I actually went to the LFS over the weekend to buy a rock which would provide shade (my hammer was unhappy because of too much light), and they had a whole line of elegance coral, one of which bared a similar resemblance to mine (could have been mine maturing in color, or a different one...). I was tempted to get it but didn't, in fear that the hammer may have had BJD (I assumed correctly, I guess), so I didn't want to get anything new or expensive. Once I know that my other LPS are ok, then I'll look back into it.
Smart move, monitor what you got, if the BJD is present you'll know. Give it a couple weeks to be safe, watch your corals like a hawk. If they all seem healthy, consider the bullet dodged and go get your elegance. I think your tank is just old enough to handle most forgiving coral so at this point its just figuring out what your unique system can sustain. Definitely avoid wall hammers in the future. If you want an easy euphyllia, get a frog spawn :).

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried twice years back ....success about 4-5 months then hard fails . Saw a few glorious looking specimens today lol, and was tempted. So what gives, is it the nitrates need to remain higher? Mine are always low... lighting needs to be quite strong? Needs dosing?
They are aggressive eaters and believe they benefit from meaty foods.
But years ago there was mention of species collected from different areas vs Aquacultured specimens one was hardier than the other .
Being lps , I would assume dirtier water is ok but stability is most likely the key

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back