I accidentally smacked my hammer coral and it is not looking well.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer was doing really good for the first few weeks, until one day I was trying to catch a fish and smacked the top of it with the back of my hand.

I hit it fairly hard and it fell off the rock. It's such a tiny frag I'm scared it may already be dead or on its way.

I will be picking up some coral ReVive in the morning but the LFS is closed atm. I tried to spot feed it a little reef roids a few days ago (I'm convinced the hammer just doesn't like them)
The next day it had a brown string of goo blowing off and was covered in a thin brown layer of goo. It did this last time I fed reef roids but when I went to go blow it away with a pipette,
the skeleton was exposed underneath And it was looking very bleached.

My phos, nitrate, and calcium are normal and I topped off today because I noticed my Salinity was a bit high.

I haven't seen any of the polyps come off yet, even when blowing on it directly.

I'm thinking about doing a peroxide dip right now incase it's a bacterial infection or algae buildup. But I fear that may just worsen the condition of the hammer

Should I wait to get an actual dip and maybe some iodine?

20240314_211422.jpg

cutlass5268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer was doing really good for the first few weeks, until one day I was trying to catch a fish and smacked the top of it with the back of my hand.

I hit it fairly hard and it fell off the rock. It's such a tiny frag I'm scared it may already be dead or on its way.

I will be picking up some coral ReVive in the morning but the LFS is closed atm. I tried to spot feed it a little reef roids a few days ago (I'm convinced the hammer just doesn't like them)
The next day it had a brown string of goo blowing off and was covered in a thin brown layer of goo. It did this last time I fed reef roids but when I went to go blow it away with a pipette,

My phos, nitrate, and calcium are normal and I topped off today because I noticed my Salinity was a bit high.

I haven't seen any of the polyps come off yet, even when blowing on it directly.

I'm thinking about doing a peroxide dip right now incase it's a bacterial infection or algae buildup. But I fear that may just worsen the condition of the hammer

20240314_211422.jpg
I’m no professional, but I’d leave it alone. I dropped mine about 4 feet onto the concrete, and that sheared off more than half the polyps. I figured it was dead for sure, but after a couple of days it was coming back and looking pretty good. That was a couple weeks ago and he’s grown a lot since then.
Also, I’ve been feeding mine reef energy plus since then, which really seems to have helped. It’s not responsive to it like my bta’s are, but it seems to give it more color and helped it perk back up after I man handled it
Could be all in my head too though

Last edited:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly as they said OP. You are killing it with love. So long as your parameters are good and stable and the flow isn’t bashing it leave it be.

Also, not all hammers seem to take food well. You are stressing it with it. Let it be for now.

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice everyone

i was hoping it wasnt a huge alarm and i'm happy i decided against the peroxide dip

might pick up some revive and iodine anyways. i've heard dosing iodine helps quite a bit but i gotta do more research

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've heard dosing iodine helps quite a bit but i gotta do more research
Not true. There is no evidence of a benefit to dosing iodine.

Keep things simple. Corals can be very resilient if you give them a chance. Don’t dip nor dose anything that isn’t absolutely needed. Simple is better.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've dropped my hammer on the floor. Busted into several frags. One head died from splitting into 2. As others said. Let it be.
After the drop. I just planted them and let them be. Urchin said other wise.. Different story.
20230330_163638.jpg
And a year later
20240313_073838.jpg
Another few under my rainbow hammer.
20240313_170431.jpg

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you told it you're sorry?

Sometimes our hobby has to use a "dead or better" mentality. You do absolutely everything you can to keep everything stable and fish and corals happy, but in the end they are all either dead or they are better.

Keep you water quality good and just be patient.

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks for the advice everyone

i was hoping it wasnt a huge alarm and i'm happy i decided against the peroxide dip

might pick up some revive and iodine anyways. i've heard dosing iodine helps quite a bit but i gotta do more research
i made a vertical split on my banana torch taking it off the frag plug last week. other than gluing it back together, i stuck it back in the tank and left it alone. dipping it can help, but if it was healthy before, it will bounce back. dont overreact when it comes to these things and you'll come out alright.

sorry pictures are kinda crap due to feeding time

PXL_20240229_035010780.MP.jpg

image57120.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the pessimist, youll find out in the morning if im correct, i hope not.
The only time ive had bjd is from mechanical damage to a euphyllia.

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the pessimist, youll find out in the morning if im correct, i hope not.
The only time ive had bjd is from mechanical damage to a euphyllia.
I picked it up to do a smell test and it smelled perfectly fine.
I could see the mouth better when it was closer towards the top and the retracted polyps seemed ok

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

20240314_211422.jpg
Looks like recession and should bounce back

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i made a vertical split on my banana torch taking it off the frag plug last week. other than gluing it back together, i stuck it back in the tank and left it alone. dipping it can help, but if it was healthy before, it will bounce back. dont overreact when it comes to these things and you'll come out alright.

sorry pictures are kinda crap due to feeding time

PXL_20240229_035010780.MP.jpg

image57120.jpg
Whoaaaa that is a serious hammer garden!

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all, just leave it alone for awhile and watch. Corals have evolved to survive a lot of mechanical damage. Weird parameter swings and overzealous reefers, not so much.

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be unrelated, but I just noticed a tiny aptaisia on the non living part of the stem

Looks like I'm gonna get a peppermint shrimp tomorrow too... oh nooooooo

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back