Torch and Hammer not doing well

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow seems to be good. Nice swaying from them. Other LPS in the tank are doing great.
It wouldn’t hurt to dose your mag up to 1350-1400 either! LPs love higher mag for some reason..

MT7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience and my Zoas also stopped opening. I did an ICP test and my aluminium levels were too high and iodine too low. I expect that the aliumium happened when some shavings fell in the tank when I built a custom lid. I did water changes and dosed some iodine and everything is very nice and open.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I friend just suggested doing a round of chemiclean to clear up any possible bacterial infections. Thoughts on that?
Nah… only use that for cyano as a last resort! You kill more good stuff than bad in your biome.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I friend just suggested doing a round of chemiclean to clear up any possible bacterial infections. Thoughts on that?
Yea that's a great plan. Kill off your biome while starving your corals. Good recipe for success.

Yes, your corals can get infections when they are under stress such as lack of nutrition and their immune systems get compromised. Dipping will not cure the underlying problem and chemiclean will completely bottom out your nutrient levels and your next thread will be about a big dino outbreak.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED/T5 hybrid. A rinkydink Current USA Marine Orbit fixture, and two T5HO fixtures. Bulbs are 2 Blue, one True Actinic, and one Coral+.

Tank is 6'x18"x22".

Dont knock the Current USA light. It is a good light if it is deployed in a tank whose depth is 12" or less.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea that's a great plan. Kill off your biome while starving your corals. Good recipe for success.

Yes, your corals can get infections when they are under stress such as lack of nutrition and their immune systems get compromised. Dipping will not cure the underlying problem and chemiclean will completely bottom out your nutrient levels and your next thread will be about a big dino outbreak.
1. It wouldn't kill the biome
2. Not every illness is based on something that's in every tank. I.e. - there is no knowledge about nutrition
3. Minimize dipping

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It wouldn't kill the biome
2. Not every illness is based on something that's in every tank. I.e. - there is no knowledge about nutrition
3. Minimize dipping
How does it know the difference between good and bad bacteria? Sure it will lower the overall biome which is why we see so many people get rid of their cyano only to have major dino issues develop. Harsh chemicals should be the absolute last resort.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does it know the difference between good and bad bacteria? Sure it will lower the overall biome which is why we see so many people get rid of their cyano only to have major dino issues develop. Harsh chemicals should be the absolute last resort.
1. No clue, since there is no definition of good and bad:)
2. You are not measuring a decline in a biome, you're kind of have a correlation/causation argument.
3. Said = harsh chemcals should be the last resort.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance he might have a flatworm in his euphilia and its irritating his hammer to receed like that?
Have you dipped your coral before you introduced it in your tank?

I really don't think your params are that bad for it to go south that fast with hammers.

I have a few hammers, and ive really neglected my tank, and they have yet to die from neglect.
I am guessing possibly you might have a paracite?

Also be very careful when dosing phosphate and nitrates.
If you don't do it slowly and in a controlled setting, you will have a algae bloom explode on the book genisis levels.
I speak from experience on that last comment. :loudly-crying-face:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No clue, since there is no definition of good and bad:)
2. You are not measuring a decline in a biome, you're kind of have a correlation/causation argument.
3. Said = harsh chemcals should be the last resort.
Certainly there are obvious good and bad types of bacteria in reefing. Cyano=bad nitrifying = good as a very basic example. I doubt chemiclean cares at all about good or bad so as it eliminates both good and bad bacteria how can this not effect the overall tank biome? I used chemiclean once early on in my tank and learned from my mistake.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back