125 Gallon Office Tank

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd start this now, even though it may be a while before the tank is set up.

I work for a commercial contractor in the New Orleans area. We started building our new office about a year ago. During the planning stages, I asked the owner if it was ok if I set up a small aquarium in my office. I have a 30 gallon sitting around my house unused, so I was going to maybe do a Fairy Cichlid tank.

Being the guy that he is, his answer was "no, you're not putting a 30 gallon tank in your office. We're going to put a 100+ gallon tank in the wall." Pretty cool, huh?

The tank will be viewable on two sides: one from my office, the other from the conference room.

Here's the conference room view:
20210121_093058.jpg

This is the view from my office:
20210121_093200.jpg

We had a time of finding a tank that would suit our needs. The boss bought a used reef setup off of Facebook Marketplace without consulting me first. He got a real good deal on it, but after looking at it, we realized that it didn't really suit our needs.

So I ordered a tank from American Aquariums. We received it last Wednesday. The dimensions are 72x18x22. I haven't taken it completely out the box yet, but here's a shot of the top:
20210121_085709.jpg

The tank has an overflow on each side. This is a problem, I soon realized, because of the sump we ordered from Seamless Sumps. The sump we got only has one filter sock. We will need two filter socks since there will be two overflows. I ordered a magnetic holder online. We'll see if it works out, I guess. My first thought was to just have one overflow lead to the sump, and have the other just deal with the returns. But that would leave an overflow full of stagnant water, which is something I don't want.

I should take this moment to mention that I have zero experience with saltwater tanks in general. I come from the high tech freshwater planted tank world. So, I've been doing a lot of studying. I've picked up a lot of info from here and other areas, but I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, this is the sump. We chose the Seamless brand because of space limitations in the cabinet. They are custom made (without any input from me; I really wish the boss would stop doing this to me). Because there is no way that I'd be able to get a full sized tank under the tank with those vertical braces, I needed something modular that I could put in and take out piece by piece. Seamless fit the bill.
20210121_093111.jpg
20210121_093124.jpg

So, on to the equipment I have to work with. Like I said, the boss picked up a used reef tank, which came with all the equipment. I need to study up on what we have to see if it will work in our situation.

Heater controller
20210127_150748.jpg

Wave Maker

20210127_150755.jpg

Lights ramp timer
20210127_150813.jpg

Return pumps. We have three of these, which seems like overkill. Do yall have an opinion on these?
20210127_150857.jpg

We have two of these powerheads

20210127_150910.jpg

And two of these powerheads
20210127_151010.jpg

I believe this is a UV sterilizer with pump
20210127_150950.jpg

Around 120 pounds of dry rock I bought new
20210127_151242.jpg

We also have two Current USA lights, which I believe are Marine Orbits that I didn't get a picture of.

Well as soon as we have some free time, we need to drill holes for the overflows and returns, set the tank on the stand, and start plumbing. I'll try to update this as we progress. My hope is to have the tank on the stand by the middle of next week. But with our hectic work schedules, it's hard to say.

Any suggestions, criticisms, well-wishes, and general bufoonery are certainly welcome in this thread.

I just realized how blurry some of my pictures are from my phone's potato camera.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update; we set the tank on the stand.

This is a shot from the conference room side with the saran wrap on
20210129_130401.jpg

Here's how it looks from my office with the wrap torn off.
20210129_130423.jpg

This is just a dry fit, as we still need to mark out and drill the holes for the drains and returns. One positive of having the tank in place now is that everyone who comes to talk to me doesn't come into my office; they come into the conference room and stick their head through the hole in the wall. Now that's no longer an option.

Access to the tank is through three of the these holes, which are about 15"x10". I need to keep that in mind when I'm putting together the hardscape.
20210129_131129.jpg

Speaking of hardscape, my plan is to piece together the rock using sand and superglue as shown in this video
Youtube

I've been looking at ideas online, and I have a number of pictures saved to give me ideas on how to sculpt this hardscape.

Dcozine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update; we set the tank on the stand.

This is a shot from the conference room side with the saran wrap on
20210129_130401.jpg

Here's how it looks from my office with the wrap torn off.
20210129_130423.jpg

This is just a dry fit, as we still need to mark out and drill the holes for the drains and returns. One positive of having the tank in place now is that everyone who comes to talk to me doesn't come into my office; they come into the conference room and stick their head through the hole in the wall. Now that's no longer an option.

Access to the tank is through three of the these holes, which are about 15"x10". I need to keep that in mind when I'm putting together the hardscape.
20210129_131129.jpg

Speaking of hardscape, my plan is to piece together the rock using sand and superglue as shown in this video
Youtube

I've been looking at ideas online, and I have a number of pictures saved to give me ideas on how to sculpt this hardscape.
I used a PaleoBond Jurassic Gel super glue with a spray accelerator on the exact same type of dry rocks. I set up one of those folding 6 foot tables you can get at Target or Costco and used painter's tape to mark the front and back of where the tank would be, and then designed/built the hardscape on the table. I put it together such that it was entirely freestanding and felt solid without any glue, then went back and glued 3 or 4 points between each of the rocks. However, I didn't want them to get too heavy or unwieldy, plus I had to work with 22" x 16" openings. I basically made tetris-like interlocking shapes out of 3 or 4 of those big rocks, so when they are in the tank I feel super confident they aren't going anywhere. But, the complete structure is probably in 5 discrete chunks.

I also picked up an 8 pound bag of "nano shelf rock" of the same stuff and used those little pieces to cover some of the gaps between the big rocks. Overall, it gives it a much more contiguous, natural look. But it also allowed me to place the big rocks in such a way that I could prioritize stability over appearance. Plus, the little rocks with glue on them act as additional braces holding the big rocks together.

This tank looks awesome, and I love that it is two-sided. Best of luck with your ongoing build!

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a PaleoBond Jurassic Gel super glue with a spray accelerator on the exact same type of dry rocks. I set up one of those folding 6 foot tables you can get at Target or Costco and used painter's tape to mark the front and back of where the tank would be, and then designed/built the hardscape on the table. I put it together such that it was entirely freestanding and felt solid without any glue, then went back and glued 3 or 4 points between each of the rocks. However, I didn't want them to get too heavy or unwieldy, plus I had to work with 22" x 16" openings. I basically made tetris-like interlocking shapes out of 3 or 4 of those big rocks, so when they are in the tank I feel super confident they aren't going anywhere. But, the complete structure is probably in 5 discrete chunks.

I also picked up an 8 pound bag of "nano shelf rock" of the same stuff and used those little pieces to cover some of the gaps between the big rocks. Overall, it gives it a much more contiguous, natural look. But it also allowed me to place the big rocks in such a way that I could prioritize stability over appearance. Plus, the little rocks with glue on them act as additional braces holding the big rocks together.

This tank looks awesome, and I love that it is two-sided. Best of luck with your ongoing build!
Thanks! I have around 120lbs of marco rock in various sizes. I'm thinking I'll probably break most of it up with a hammer to allow a little more flexibility with shaping the hardscape. I need to spend this weekend working on that.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update; we finally drilled the holes in the stand. I also ordered the bulkheads. I probably should have ordered them a while back. Oh well.

Here's one of our foremen measuring.
20210224_125424.jpg

Drilling
20210224_125807.jpg

20210224_125342.jpg

20210224_125327.jpg

Sawing
20210224_132832.jpg

And now we have an oval for the bulkheads.
20210224_132937.jpg

A tank shot with two rocks in it, because why not?
20210224_151732.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's been a while since I've updated this - mainly because there's been nothing to update.

Well, today there's something update. After 4 months of just sitting here, I've finally installed the plumbing.

Tomorrow I water test. Wish me luck, baws.

Attachments

• 20210617_163248.jpg
    20210617_163248.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210617_163252.jpg
    20210617_163252.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210617_163301.jpg
    20210617_163301.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the water test didn't get far. I put some water in the overflow boxes, and two of the bulkheads started leaking. I don't think I can get to the nut without cutting out the pvc. So, unless I can come up with (or if someone here can give me some ideas) on how to fix this, I'll have to replace both bulkheads and put new plumbing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back