125 Gallon Office Tank

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, congratulations... very exciting!

Some random thoughts: 1) I use Seamless Sumps; they are not all that common, but I like them. 2) I think that UV unit will be a joke on that size tank— probably not worth the effort to plumb it in. 3) don’t know if it will help in your exact application, but BRS sells a black plastic circular wrench type thing that can help you tighten the bulkhead nut in a tight space. Best wishes!

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. The UV was on a 125 gallon already. But I really have no clue if it will work on this tank.

3) don’t know if it will help in your exact application, but BRS sells a black plastic circular wrench type thing that can help you tighten the bulkhead nut in a tight space.

I just looked up this tool. The only way I could see this working without me having to cut out the pvc would be to cut enough of the tool off so that it could slip past the pvc to be able to slide onto the nut.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. We got it fixed. Had to cut the pvc. We used a multitool to cut the nut off the bulkhead. Bought new bulkheads, installed them, and re-plumbed.

Water test was a success!

I'm going out of town for a week, so when I get back, it'll be time to work on the hardscape.
20210619_131213.jpg
20210619_131745.jpg
20210619_134742.jpg

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The boss is on vacation. Which means he isn't around to bug me, so I have a chance to work on the hardscape.

I like the way it's looking so far. I'm trying to decide whether or not to put some smaller rocks between the two larger pieces. I'm sure I'll fiddle around with it more this week.

This is the view from the conference room side.
IMG_20210630_125047.jpg

And this is the view from my office with the reference tape removed.
IMG_20210630_125217.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great so far! Almost like you don't even have water in there! :p

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two bags of Carib Sea sand for this tank. I rinsed one bag, and good gravy did it take a while.

After rinsing, it was placed in the tank. I'm gonna wait a day for this sand to dry out a little to make it easier to grade it.

Once it's graded I'll see if I think I need the second bag.
IMG_20210701_145516.jpg

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added all the sand. There's around 50 pounds in there. Carib Sea special blend, or something like that.
IMG_20210702_114105.jpg

Next step will be to start making saltwater. I still haven't decided on what brand salt to use yet. I want to use something that I can get locally. I know how I am; I'll go to make more saltwater, and realize that I neglected to order more salt two weeks ago like I said I would.

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it's looking great btw.
Can you send some pictures of your plumbing too and how you are setting the sump up?
Just because I'm really interested

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it's looking great btw.
Can you send some pictures of your plumbing too and how you are setting the sump up?
Just because I'm really interested

Let me preface this by saying I have no idea what I'm doing. The water test was successful, I just hope that I can keep the running water silent with how I have this set up.

20210617_163248.jpg
20210617_163252.jpg
20210617_163301.jpg

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good is that a bean animal overflow? (That's what I have on my tank and it's S I L E N T) And did you go with 2 return pumps?
(I don't know what I'm doing either the more we talk about it the more the aquarium gurus on this site can help spot our pitfalls )

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good is that a bean animal overflow? (That's what I have on my tank and it's S I L E N T) And did you go with 2 return pumps?
(I don't know what I'm doing either the more we talk about it the more the aquarium gurus on this site can help spot our pitfalls )

Its the Herbie overflow method. The tank came predrilled with 3 holes in each overflow. Because of where the tank is - set in a bookshelf - I had to use the third hole for the return.

Yes, I'm using two return pumps. During the water test, it didn't seem like too much or too little flow. I'll see, and adjust, once I get the tank filled again.

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good it will take a bit to adjust your flow (especially with 2 on the one tank) in essence it will work the same as mine I guess to dial it in (if you haven't done one before) would be to shut off both valves turn one pump on wait for the overflow to fill them slowly open one of the valves until you get a slight trickle down the second pipe leave that running for 5 mins to kinda fine tune it but don't be too fussy because your second pump will need that up anyway. Then turn on your second pump and then use the second valve and dial that one in and that should get you sorted.
I have just noticed do you not have any one way valves on your return line?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back