Do I need to space out these hammer corals?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per picture below, these hammer corals are starting to really grow, and the top one is my concern, which will eventually shade the polyps of the hammer next to it - is this a concern? I've seen other tanks with groups of hammers, and wonder is it damaging for the polyps that don't get light.

Hammers are new to me, and have easily become by favorite types of corals by far.

20240317_135915_resized.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For growth maybe but hammers play nice with each other so there should be no aggression. I spaced mine out to allow plenty of room to turn into a nice size colony before starting to intermingle.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For growth maybe but hammers play nice with each other so there should be no aggression. I spaced mine out to allow plenty of room to turn into a nice size colony before starting to intermingle.
Ok, thanks, so I should separate them until they get to a certain size and then move them closer. I wonder what would happen if I don't.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks, so I should separate them until they get to a certain size and then move them closer. I wonder what would happen if I don't.
no just space them a little so they grow into each other. Or dont nothing will happen...maybe reduced growth or shading.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back