Hammer head sprouting from dead skeleton?

therealraf02

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 12, 2024
Messages
449
Reaction score
171
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month or two ago I tried fragging a couple of my hammers colonies. One of the frags I made with my bone cutters (I've since bought the proper tools) shattered through the center, splitting the polyp into two essentially.
Knowing the survival rate would probably be very slim, I still tried my best to glue the two halves together and placed it on my rock to maybe heal. Fast forward til today, the original head is completely gone, however there is what seems to be a new head growing out of the *side* of the original skeleton? (Original head skeleton can be seen in the picture/video, facing towards the viewer)
You can see the polyps move very gently in the flow so it's not green, hard calcified skeleton. I never knew hammers could grow new heads like that!
 
Yes that can happen. I never get rid of old “dead” hammers or torches because sometimes they will grow new heads
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new