IF KESSIL A360X LIGHTS ARE SO GREAT WHY HAVE LFS GONE AWAY FROM THEM ON DISPLAY TANKS

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you got some nice sps there, you dont supplement the lights at all? Lots of people going T5 LED hybrid nowadays
Just because lots of people are doing it, doesn't mean everybody has to. I personally don't like T5/LED hybrid because of appearance, but to each their own

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because lots of people are doing it, doesn't mean everybody has to. I personally don't like T5/LED hybrid because of appearance, but to each their own
I see, i wanted to add more then 2 for my 4ft tank but cant due to the center brace thats why i was looking at the T5 hybrid system but there doesnt seem to be any leg mounts for it to put on top of the tank.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil 360x is a fantastic light. It even has adjustment knobs on it so you can just run a regular old light timer to control it. I've been having success with my two 360x.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run them at 100%?
Yes they all run at 100% power. As for the color knobs they are all blue roughly the 1st hour and last hour, then during most of the day they are at 50/50 color, then for around 2 hours a day they are at 100% white, then back to 100% blue the last hour or so. I also almost daily switch them to every other one being all white or all blue so for the whole time they are on which is 14 hours a day everyday no matter the color scheme, I will have every other one either all white or all blue which give the tank, fish and corals a pretty cool different look. Hope that helps and that's just how I roll a little different. Will take a few pics right now to give you an idea as far as a cell phone camera can show. 1st pic is all blue, 2and pic is 50/50 color, 3red pic is all white and 4th pic is every other one all blue or all white. My favorite is having them with every other one all blue or all white.
20200228_154219.jpg
20200228_154344.jpg
20200228_154431.jpg
20200228_154536.jpg

Last edited:

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, do you have to perform maintenance on the AIs or Radions for dust build up from the fan? Kessil recommends a bit of maintenance once a month to keep the dust out of them to facilitate continued efficiency of their cooling. I just bought an A160 for a frag tank and will run it on a Kessil X controller. I almost got the 360X but was afraid it would be too much for what I'm doing right now.
The Kessils have a 2 year warranty if you register them. They say they should last 5 to 7 years but may go longer. It sounds like maintenance is important though.
I was thinking about going Radion on my planned main DT but I may go Kessil on that too and run them off the same controller. Based on what I've seen I could just about flip a coin between the two to pick. It seems that people think Radions are the end all be all. Half of of it may be just that it's a cool sounding name. Who knows. I like not having to buy a filter lense for the kessil.

A store might have many reasons to switch brands. You could just ask them.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they all run at 100% power. As for the color knobs they are all blue roughly the 1st hour and last hour, then during most of the day they are at 50/50 color, then for around 2 hours a day they are at 100% white, then back to 100% blue the last hour or so. I also occasionally twice a week or so for the whole time they are on which is 14 hours a day everyday, I will have every other one either all white or all blue which give the tank, fish and corals a pretty cool different look. Hope that helps and that's just how I roll a little different. Will take a few pics right now to give you an idea as far as a cell phone camera can show.
20200228_154219.jpg
20200228_154344.jpg
20200228_154431.jpg
20200228_154536.jpg
I remember seeing your tank years ago with all those kessils. Glad to see they still work for you.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kessil lights I started with a 350 and then I upgraded to 360we and now I have the 360x I am still using the other lights to light frag tanks. Kessil is a light company. they only make lights. They build everything in that light in house. I personally like the shimmer kessil lights give off. I am also a fan of kessil logic they set the lights with the correct spectrum right out of the box.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, do you have to perform maintenance on the AIs or Radions for dust build up from the fan? Kessil recommends a bit of maintenance once a month to keep the dust out of them to facilitate continued efficiency of their cooling. I just bought an A160 for a frag tank and will run it on a Kessil X controller. I almost got the 360X but was afraid it would be too much for what I'm doing right now.
The Kessils have a 2 year warranty if you register them. They say they should last 5 to 7 years but may go longer. It sounds like maintenance is important though.
I was thinking about going Radion on my planned main DT but I may go Kessil on that too and run them off the same controller. Based on what I've seen I could just about flip a coin between the two to pick. It seems that people think Radions are the end all be all. Half of of it may be just that it's a cool sounding name. Who knows. I like not having to buy a filter lense for the kessil.

I just have Kessils and every few months I blow them out with my daughters dog dryer( she a groomer) the thing is very powerful and blow out any dust that accumulates. My oldest kessil is a 160 going on 6 years. I haven't had any issues with mine and I like the look and being that my tank is in my bedroom I dont have to worry about heat from the lights so I dont need a chiller. The grow all kinds of corals for me so they work good enough. If my tank was in a living room and I had a basement I would probably go with MH lights since they do seem to grow corals a tad faster but in my situation I will always be an led guy.

U

User1

View Badges

Either will work, that is the beauty of this hobby. Or use any of the others discussed or even go the route of DIY. Similar to our, the hobbyist, tanks. No two are similar and there are many ways to run a successful tank. You have to choose what works best for you and your budget.

Unfortunately lighting isn't one of the cheaper components of this hobby. So sometimes more research and planning is necessary. Best of luck.

OP
OP
E

Earthquake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always happy to help out with schedules and intensities!
i have been waiting for this reply for the LONGEST! I WENT TO CHURCH THIS MORNING AND LOOK AT GOD! HE ANSWERS JUST THE SMALLEST OF PRAYERS!.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always happy to help out with schedules and intensities!
Hey i have a rimmed 75 gallon tank i wonder if adding 2 more lights 5 inches apart is good? One on each side of the center brace.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been waiting for this reply for the LONGEST! I WENT TO CHURCH THIS MORNING AND LOOK AT GOD! HE ANSWERS JUST THE SMALLEST OF PRAYERS!.
You are always welcome to Email/ call Kessil customer service with any questions. Always happy to help! Or just Message me directly on here :)

As for schedules each tank is so unique and it's hard without known the number of lights you have, the mounting height, and tank dimensions but I can cover some of the basics.

Color: We built Kessil lights to be plug and play so you can choose any color your heart desires and not have to worry if it will affect your corals. The key wavelengths for coral growth can be found throughout the entire Tuna Blue 10K-20K Spectrum. Typically we see people start the morning out with 20K deep blues (0% Color) and slowly increase it to a 15K to 10K whiter spectrum midday, then bring it back down again. But if you like the deep Actinic blues all day- you can do that without negatively impacting your corals. As for the RGV spectrums, these are to highlight colors in your coral and make them POP. We like to adjust these by turning the main TB spectrum to zero adding these colors individually to find out what colors really bring out your corals then bring the TB spectrum back in.

Intensity:
This is the setting that really matters and again will be individual to your tank. We recommend ramping your intensity slowly in the morning to a 1-3 hour peak intensity midday and slowly ramp back down. I would start low for this peak intensity and slowly work your way up. Add a few percentages every week and or use acclimation mode! The key is going slow and since its, a softie tank starting at a 20-30% intensity peak won't hurt your corals. If you see them reaching for the light that's a key to start increasing the peak intensity. Monitor your corals and see how they react to increasing light.

Some people like to use PAR to measure if the spot their coral is placed is getting enough light. This can be a great tool to get a general idea of light intensity but keep in mind we consider our lights to be PAR efficient. PAR measures all visible light (400-700nm), but coral health primarily relies on the 425nm and 455nm wavelengths. Kessil LEDs focus on these essential wavelengths, prioritizing coral growth and propagation over inflated PAR readings. We do include Red and green spectrums with the A360X but there are intended to bring out the color in your corals only.

I know generalized answers like 'Each Tank is Unique" is frustrating but it's so true. There are so many variables in a tank that you may have completely different results with someone with the same setup! Hope this is helpful :D

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify on the displays as well: We have just re-established our Powered by Kessil Program for store display A360X's. It wasn't previously available for A360X's only the A360WE's. When newer models came out of other lights (and A360we's became old news) they were replaced with free or heavily discounted store displays by other lighting companies. We are trying to remedy this and get back into stores with a strong PBK program so customers like you can see them in action!

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back