If only urchins could see...

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be unstoppable and the perfect algae control.

Unfortunately, one of mine spends entirely too much time lost on the glass...
20200715_224654.jpg

The time it is "working" on the rocks, it has made a amazing difference! Just a week ago ALL of my rocks were covered in this...whatever collection of algae this is!
15948678199964893797614091086416.jpg

You can see some definite pathways showing where it's gone. I noticed that theres many spots it cant get to, so I got a smaller pin-cushin urchin today. I'll post pics in a week, if anyone is interested.

Once I get my nitrate issue figured out, I'll have to figure out how to keep the poor thing fed!

OP
OP
C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had the exact same experience, but absolutely loved them!

Once all the algae was gone, i'd tie some seaweed to a rock every other night and place it in the sand bed. In the morning it would be just a rock again.
Did you leave the rock in the same spot for them to find?

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it eats all the algae, if you want to supplement, nori sheets work wonders. It will still eat detritus either way and still help after the algae is gone.

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you leave the rock in the same spot for them to find?

Sometimes i would just throw it in the sand bed if i couldnt see the urchin (liked to go into a couple of my rock formations), other times i would set it right next to it, and it would immediately attach itself.

They are natural sea weed eaters, if they are hungry enough they will find it, even if its 100s of yards away (not likely in our tanks) :).

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the long spine urchin might be the best urchin cuz mine be all over the rocks and sand and doesn’t miss a spot. Doesn’t ever touch the glass tho, I think it leaves that for the snails

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a halloween and a black tuxedo urchin.
Both dont eat much algae.
They mainly stay on the back wall eating coralline.
My coralline grows pretty fast.
They have mowed down quite a few clove polyps as several patches of them have sprung up from the live rock.
I hope they eat them all lol.
Couple pics I just took.
20200715_202401.jpg
20200715_202408.jpg

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be unstoppable and the perfect algae control.

Unfortunately, one of mine spends entirely too much time lost on the glass...
20200715_224654.jpg

The time it is "working" on the rocks, it has made a amazing difference! Just a week ago ALL of my rocks were covered in this...whatever collection of algae this is!
15948678199964893797614091086416.jpg

You can see some definite pathways showing where it's gone. I noticed that theres many spots it cant get to, so I got a smaller pin-cushin urchin today. I'll post pics in a week, if anyone is interested.

Once I get my nitrate issue figured out, I'll have to figure out how to keep the poor thing fed!
Hey! thanks for posting. I have started to have a small GHA bloom starting. Want to add an urchin, loved reading your thread. How is everything going?

OP
OP
C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good so far!
They're both behaving themselves and leaving my rock stripped of all algae as they pass.
Between an occasional toothbrush scrub on some spots that they have trouble getting to, and some macro in my fuge, Im finally starting to win against GHA / bryopsis.

I would recommend either types of urchins...
Just stay away from the pencil variety.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good so far!
They're both behaving themselves and leaving my rock stripped of all algae as they pass.
Between an occasional toothbrush scrub on some spots that they have trouble getting to, and some macro in my fuge, Im finally starting to win against GHA / bryopsis.

I would recommend either types of urchins...
Just stay away from the pencil variety.

Pencil variety? LOL something else to look up. Are they ripping coral frags off and destroying them?

OP
OP
C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pencil variety? LOL something else to look up. Are they ripping coral frags off and destroying them?
The pencil I had ate some zoas and some sps. And kept trying to escape my sump.

The Halloween and pincushion are model citizens...mostly.. They very carefully eat around my coral. They do like to pick up any thing not glued down, and love to carry around small snails and crabs.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pencil I had ate some zoas and some sps. And kept trying to escape my sump.

The Halloween and pincushion are model citizens...mostly.. They very carefully eat around my coral. They do like to pick up any thing not glued down, and love to carry around small snails and crabs.
They sound like a riot!

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love urchins and have 5 in my tank. I have lost several frags, but that in the price you pay.

My Halloween and pin cushion urchins seem to eat all kinds of algae or at least the ones in my tank. No HA in the display where the urchins are but some in my frag/sump where the urchins are not. I never feed my urchins after the nuisance algae are gone, but they seem to find something to eat and are fine and growing.

I think algae is always growing and they find enough to eat.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love urchins and have 5 in my tank. I have lost several frags, but that in the price you pay.

My Halloween and pin cushion urchins seem to eat all kinds of algae or at least the ones in my tank. No HA in the display where the urchins are but some in my frag/sump where the urchins are not. I never feed my urchins after the nuisance algae are gone, but they seem to find something to eat and are fine and growing.

I think algae is always growing and they find enough to eat.

Can't wait! I want one so bad now.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit any algae you want gone with a blast of boiling RODI water from a turkey baster. Something about it makes it irresistible to urchins, snails, crabs and even fish.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Urchins they may be great algae eaters and interesting but beware. If you have cords to like flow pumps they can chew them, I have had them chew the glue up seams on a tanks once and also have had them eat right across a coral.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back