If you could only have one "type" of coral, what would it be?

If you could only pick 1 type of coral for your tank, which would it be?

• SPS

Votes: 192 38.2%
  • LPS

Votes: 199 39.6%
  • NPS

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Zoas

Votes: 61 12.2%
  • Softies (non-zoas)

Votes: 36 7.2%
  • Anemones (Yes, we know nems aren't technically a coral, but still...)

Votes: 13 2.6%

• Total voters

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come no coral category "Live?"

IMG_5307.JPG

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS (specifically Euphyllia for me). I know people will consider it blasphemy, but I find zoas to be overrated. To me a coral should have long wavy tentacles. To each their own though.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andrew,

You still have them Rhyzo still? Love 'em

Hey Paul. It's still doing great. Probably hasn't grown much. I wish I had more then one to see if they would reproduce.

As far as the one type of corals I hope to one day have 3 display tanks and each one will be sps, lps and soft coral dominated. However even choosing which one will be the big tank and which will be the smaller ones will be hard.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies simply because I do not have to worry about vacation as much, fish I buy is easy, lots color, wavy, hardy. I have lots of gorgs still currently and of course anemones would be on the list for me, but those are not corals. :)

I do not have great pics right now. I am tearing down tank and setting up new one. Then you will get some pics.;)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies simply because I do not have to worry about vacation as much, fish I buy is easy, lots color, wavy, hardy. I have lots of gorgs still currently and of course anemones would be on the list for me, but those are not corals. :)

I do not have great pics right now. I am tearing down tank and setting up new one. Then you will get some pics.;)
I do think softies and gorgs are way underrated that would be my 2nd choice. but if I had to just pick one it would still be LPS big and bouncy!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted LPS.

The most fun corals I've had, frogspawn, torch, hammer, candycane. Nice and meaty and easy to frag if they get out of control.

I also like BRAINS!

Here's a today shot of my hammer.
761211-c661450d4b0ed257130088f22292ad51.jpg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would do the sps coral for a few reasons but I do enjoy the others just as much. For me, sps require more care, finesse, and clear understanding about the life form living in your tank. Do to this one usually has to be on top of their tank so that they do not perish.

In other aspects though I think a mixed reef is the hardest because you have all three sources and it’s a perfect balance which adds in the level of difficulty for some. All corals are so pretty, and each one is always a little different.

But I want a challenge, I don’t want to become lazy and complacent, especially with another life. So sps makes it where I have to be on top of things because they do go south in a hurry.

7318669C-9A0F-479D-920C-908407DDA614.jpeg

3A043D8E-7CDE-4C90-BDF7-5E2A3B5D7E98.jpeg

D28662E0-24F6-485F-919F-21F355C8B4C3.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your attitude of staying on top of things. I was that way until three kids, two dogs, sports, job, 5 tanks, etc..... Sometimes easy and enjoyable is more fun. Granted, easy is just a state of mind, right?

Love the tanks!

I do have an lps system too. Love dem brains and fleshy guys. Hammers, frogspawn, torches. All good stuff.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each type of corals have pros and cons. I have always had mixed reefs. I couldn't tell you my favorite. No doubt SPS for the colors. No doubt softies for tank movement (loved watching my old colt coral move with the flow and the weed of the sea, xenia pulsing). You forgot a category, anemones. You can't beat the clown and anemone relationship.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love LPS corals - acans, favia, brains, scolys, lobos, duncans, blastos, micro, caulastraea

Don't like softies or SPS at all. Actually can't STAND them. SPS are just fuzzy sticks - they look like ratty tree branches to me. Sofites like leathers and kenya tres have never been in any of my tanks, and never will be. They're ugly IMO.

Zoas are pretty cool, but you said I could only pick ONE. :)

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul. It's still doing great. Probably hasn't grown much. I wish I had more then one to see if they would reproduce.

As far as the one type of corals I hope to one day have 3 display tanks and each one will be sps, lps and soft coral dominated. However even choosing which one will be the big tank and which will be the smaller ones will be hard.

I lost a nice Pink Rhyzo from the very first ice storm that hit Toronto a while back and since then I can't seem to find anything like it anywhere else ... been looking high and low. And now with the coral ban ... the light at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer (so to speak ... lol)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back