If you had a catastrophe

If you had a catastrophe & lost 100% of your fish or 100% of your coral which would you rather lose

• Total voters

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a catastrophe where you either lost 100% of your fish or 100% of your coral, which would you rather lose?

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough one. Ethically I would have to lean towards the higher order organisms (i.e. the fish). Practically speaking however they would probably take less time and money to replace in the average tank, certainly in mine.

Realistically the corals are the more sensitive specimens so would be the first to go in most situations, particularly the SPS. Diseases like Velvet however can quickly wipe out fish populations from what I have read (happily have no personal experience of this!).

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would depend on some key variables...
Both are living things so you would hate to lose any, however, I guess it would have to be coral.
How long you had had the fish or corals (sentimental value). How much you have invested in your fish and corals. What kind of fish or corals. Do you have rare coral or a rare fish such as a Purple Monster Jawbreaker Mushroom or a Centropyge Boylei (Peppermint Angel). That could sway your answer one way or the other.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have fish for coral fertilizer and they are not expensive or rare so I would rather lose them if I was forced to pick

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I estimate 90% of my time, effort and expense is spent on the corals and keeping them happy. Losing the corals would be more devastating. While I got into saltwater for the fish, it's the invertebrates (and all that goes with them) that have captured me. I hope I never will have to answer this question beyond the theoretical.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither, but to answer the question, I typically only keep a few fish in my reef. If the fish were gone, I would still have a nice display. If all my coral died, I would only have a few fish swimming around with some rock. Much less interesting.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 fish worth maybe $100+, but my tank is stuffed full over 100 corals and 20+ anemones that are worth well over $1000. It's an absolute 'No Brainer'.

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost 100% of my fish before and I would much rather have lost all my corals instead.

clarity1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tough. I guess it would also depend on how old the corals are. If I lost a bunch of frags I’ve had for a couple of months, definitely more upset about the fish. If they were colonies I was growing for years, that would be a really tough loss.

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing animals is a bummer/sad/unfortunate, but cant think of much with an aquarium I would really call a catastrophe. Maybe burning the house down would qualify?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back