If you only had one store in SF to get coral, which one would you go to?

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'll be in SF Friday-Sunday. If you could only go to one store for coral, which one would it be? I would like for them to be able to ship and to be open on Sundays.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Will

Fish_BowLisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'll be in SF Friday-Sunday. If you could only go to one store for coral, which one would it be? I would like for them to be able to ship and to be open on Sundays.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Will

425 Clement street is the only one I've gone to in SF. It's a wonky store with a large selection. Their husbandry leaves much to be desired though. Anything you buy from them must be QT'd as most corals have some kind of problem but they are open until 10 pm on Sundays! I haven't been there in over a year so things may be better now. Just be super careful to inspect for parasites and jelly on any purchase. There are no returns!

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want some nice 10, 20, 30, $40 etc frags and buy 3 get 4th free then check out California Reef Company in Newmark...sps to lps. Neptunes is overprice IMO but they have some cool stuff and display tanks...both stores about 20min apart from each other...have fun!

alexgray1122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want some nice 10, 20, 30, $40 etc frags and buy 3 get 4th free then check out California Reef Company in Newmark...sps to lps. Neptunes is overprice IMO but they have some cool stuff and display tanks...both stores about 20min apart from each other...have fun!

I just went there this last weekend, and probably won't go back unfortunately. Corals were priced pretty steep. Fish tanks were over run with algae. I guess they just got new ownership. Didn't get that welcome feel that I received from aquatic collection.

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went there this last weekend, and probably won't go back unfortunately. Corals were priced pretty steep. Fish tanks were over run with algae. I guess they just got new ownership. Didn't get that welcome feel that I received from aquatic collection.
All man...that's too bad. Have not been there in a while...will have to def. check out the Hayward store for sure...

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND, Aquatic Collection are friendly and answer their phone. Neptunes doesn't even have a phone. I used to drive down from Berkeley every once in a while, however if I can't even call to see if you have items I'm looking for, never visiting again...unfortunate.

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND, Aquatic Collection are friendly and answer their phone. Neptunes doesn't even have a phone. I used to drive down from Berkeley every once in a while, however if I can't even call to see if you have items I'm looking for, never visiting again...unfortunate.

Send them an email.

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm aware they have email, and I've tried sending them emails. Don't get me wrong, they have a wonderful store, and the people there are nice and friendly as well. But sometimes, on a Saturday morning, you just want to jump in the car and go to an LFS. If I can't call and get an idea if you have what I want, I'm not going to wait around for 24-48 hours to get an email response, a bit ridiculous and not in the interest of the customers. I'm sure they'll still have plenty of local south bay reefers that keep them busy, but it kind of sucks majorly for anyone that's more than 15 minutes away.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very annoying to have to do before you're leaving from 2 1/2 hours away, email and wait for a response. Then in the matter of the 2 1/2 hour drive someone buys that said item. No way are they convenient.
I'll never really understand their choice to get rid of the phone. I won't ever go there looking for anything other than an occasional frag or fish food because of it.

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Concepts is temporarily closed. Scheduled to reopen on April 14, 2017.

Good to hear...hopefully it's new and improved! Last time I was there a year or so ago, it was a bit dingy and selection was lacking. I remember when this store was in it's original small place in Hayward...it was awesome. Then moved to a larger place in Hayward...even more awesome...after the move to Dublin, I started going elsewhere.

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear...hopefully it's new and improved! Last time I was there a year or so ago, it was a bit dingy and selection was lacking. I remember when this store was in it's original small place in Hayward...it was awesome. Then moved to a larger place in Hayward...even more awesome...after the move to Dublin, I started going elsewhere.

Aquarium Concepts is permanently closed. Fire burned them down due to an electrical malfunction of some sort.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back