One if my mushroom corals had gone down hill not sure why

MJRKezzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I've had these mushroom corals here for a long time properly over a year. One of them has just shrivelled up today and looks to be torn apart while attached to the rock still. I have had this happen to one or two other mushroom in various places in the tank. All the water parameters are at the same level. No change in lighting or flow. So I'm stumped. The only thing I can thing is the mushroom to the left which is a lot bigger fights with an anemone every so often (and wins the anemone moves away) which could maybe increase the sting from that from effecting this one as they touch more? Or maybe chemical warfare due to how many mushrooms and leathers I have in the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20240314_163250.jpg 20240314_163305.jpg 20240314_163314.jpg 20240314_163321.jpg

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you just cleaned the tank, or dropped some salt creep in or something like that? The two on each side look great which lends me to believe it’s from an irritant. I have seen that after debris from cleaning lands on something. Also could be something like a hermit walking over it. Tough to say, but hopefully it bounces back after whatever bothered it is gone. I’d leave it alone or at most hit it gently with water from a pipet or turkey baster to clean it off. Let us know what happens!

OP
OP
M

MJRKezzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hadn't just cleaned the tank. The mushroom has now dropped off and disappeared unfortunately. Not really sure what happened. No hermit crabs in the tank as they were eating the snails. Will keep an eye out if it happens again and put an update. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi I've had these mushroom corals here for a long time properly over a year. One of them has just shrivelled up today and looks to be torn apart while attached to the rock still. I have had this happen to one or two other mushroom in various places in the tank. All the water parameters are at the same level. No change in lighting or flow. So I'm stumped. The only thing I can thing is the mushroom to the left which is a lot bigger fights with an anemone every so often (and wins the anemone moves away) which could maybe increase the sting from that from effecting this one as they touch more? Or maybe chemical warfare due to how many mushrooms and leathers I have in the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20240314_163250.jpg 20240314_163305.jpg 20240314_163314.jpg 20240314_163321.jpg
Often due to high nitrates and/or phosphates, too much water flow and starvation. Feed them mysis shrimp2x a week

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back