Blue Zoo Mushroom Grab Bag - A little underwhelming and I uncertain if this one is doing well (First Coral)

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a Mushroom Grab Bag from Blue Zoo - A little underwhelming to be completely transparent. These 4 tiny things are the first coral I have added to my tank. I have not had coral for 20 years so it's safe to say I am internet educated at this point.

Out of the 4 items I received only two remain. They have survived so far because they were larger than the pea sized items that I received with it. There was a pea sized ones that was very cool but it was so small that it floated into my pre filter for a night and looked to have lost their color.

I digress. The one mushroom (yet to officially be identified) seems to be happy where it is at so far (the one with the green bubble looking spots)

The largest of the items added doesn't seem to be doing well (The pinkish/white one with the tentacles) . Should this (unidentified coral) look like this or should I move it to somewhere with more/less light? Is it just sick? Maybe I should dip it or both in Coral Rx for safe measure? They have been in the tank for over a week now.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

20240328_083253.jpg 20240328_084306.jpg 20240328_084312.jpg 20240328_084320.jpg

OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to keep moving the coral around like a chess piece. However, at a glance with my minimal knowledge it seems like I may need to move it from the shadow to more direct light? Maybe after a week or so? What's a good amount of time to wait before relocating corals to where they get what they need without getting stressed too much?

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I wanted to post a follow-up/update as it drives me a little crazy when people just drop a thread to the floor after getting input.

This is how we are looking after two target feedings of Reef Roids.

Side Note: The coralline algae in my aquarium appears to have increased by 20 - 25% since adding the Reef Roids. Thought is was worth mentioning for those trying for it. What's in my tank has just magically appeared over time.
So much better! Nice to see!

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to keep moving the coral around like a chess piece. However, at a glance with my minimal knowledge it seems like I may need to move it from the shadow to more direct light? Maybe after a week or so? What's a good amount of time to wait before relocating corals to where they get what they need without getting stressed too much?
If they’re doing well, I don’t touch them even if the recommendation is different from where I’ve put them. If not doing well, a week is reasonable but then don’t move them again for at least two weeks to know whether it had a positive response to the move. Mushrooms let you know right away usually.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re doing well, I don’t touch them even if the recommendation is different from where I’ve put them. If not doing well, a week is reasonable but then don’t move them again for at least two weeks to know whether it had a positive response to the move. Mushrooms let you know right away usually.
These are my first mushrooms. I received them as a free add on. That said I am not 100% certain what type of mushrooms they are which has made it somewhat difficult for me to determine what good actually looks like for these ones. Any pro tips and knowing they look healthy? I didn't recognize they were starving initially. Trying to be a sponge and soak up whatever info is provided.

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my first mushrooms. I received them as a free add on. That said I am not 100% certain what type of mushrooms they are which has made it somewhat difficult for me to determine what good actually looks like for these ones. Any pro tips and knowing they look healthy? I didn't recognize they were starving initially. Trying to be a sponge and soak up whatever info is provided.
Definitely not a pro here but the first looks like a hairy mushroom and seems to be doing wonderful since you started feeding it. The second looks like a Yuma or ricordea and both Yuma and ricordea do well under similar conditions. Mine sit at around 150-170 PAR or so and really open up with the light.

As long as you’re seeing them fluff up and have good feeding responses you’re doing something right.

Thanks for being a responsible mushroom owner and trying to soak up information. You’re doing great!!!!

Upvote 0

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I wanted to post a follow-up/update as it drives me a little crazy when people just drop a thread to the floor after getting input.

This is how we are looking after two target feedings of Reef Roids.

Side Note: The coralline algae in my aquarium appears to have increased by 20 - 25% since adding the Reef Roids. Thought is was worth mentioning for those trying for it. What's in my tank has just magically appeared over time.
like you said it was a 'free add on" don't get too upset.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. That's why I wanted to point out it was a free add on. I was really just trying to point out that considering it's an item you can also purchase I would either

A) Rename the free add on if they choose smaller items
or
B) Ensure that the free item is representative of the purchasable item and causes the recipient to want to order one for purchase.

I actually decided to purchase an additional shroom grab bag to see if that is the case. Maybe, its a ploy to get people to buy one to see if the purchasable one is the same like I have Perhaps I am just not privy to what is an acceptable size coral to receive when purchasing online and perhaps this is the standard.

Again, not complaining about the free add-on. I wanted to ensure that my post was transparent and that it was known that I was speaking to a free item. Also, I noted that the sight clearly states "tiny". It's likely it is just that I am unfamiliar with coral sales and what is acceptable vs not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would post an update on what seems to be the hairy mushroom. I think that it may be splitting? It seems like there are two distinct segments.

Attachments

• 20240412_092038.jpg
    20240412_092038.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240412_090901.jpg
    20240412_090901.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to make a follow up statement to my comments above the Blue Zoo "Shroom Grab Bag, Various spp., 4 Pack, Jakarta.

I purchased one with my last Bluezoo order. When compared to the free Shroom Grab Bag that I received with my first order it's like I ordered from a completely different vendor. The grab bag came with 4 shrooms. 3 on frag plugs and one loose 1.5 - 2 inch recordia. I am now torn. Do I order a third and see if I get another quality set of mushrooms or do I consider myself lucky and move on to another site for ordering?

Note: Blue Zoos customer service / warranty has been been great. However, the quality of the products that I have received have either been excellent or stressful because they were obviously not well (fish). I cannot speak to whether the coral that I have received is on par with other vendors. Blue Zoo has been my primary source for my aquarium additions.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back