Is this a yellow leather?

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen at a LFS in a very deep tank- one of those taller than wide with what looks like weak lighting(visually white lighting, not blue and seemed rather dim or not that much different from the usual light over a FW planted tank). In person it does have a yellow tint all over it. Deliberately took this shot with a 'regular/common' toadstool behind it for color reference. But also doesn't seem to be the happiest/healthiest nor did most of the other corals in tank. Wondering if I should try for it or nah..? It's the first time I saw a 'yellow toadstool' for sale locally so there is some temptation to grab this.

20240113_160738.jpg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
In white lighting like that if it were a Fiji Yellow there would be no doubt about it. The yellow is very prominent under whiter lighting on true Fiji's.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In white lighting like that if it were a Fiji Yellow there would be no doubt about it. The yellow is very prominent under whiter lighting on true Fiji's.

Appreciate that. It does look 'yellowish' all over- no other hint of any other color, from memory. But not screamingly so- a pale butter yellow.. People say the yellow is best under strong lights and closer to the surface? This one was kept the opposite of that- very far from the lights(which seemed weak- dimmer than it seems in the photo)- at least 3 feet. So I was wondering if it was truly a yellow leather but not in prime condition due to the set up? And then is it a Fiji or Tonga or neither of those?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back