Clown fish trying to pair with mushroom coral

Foxonthesly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a 2 month old 20gallon tall saltwater tank that I recently put a few test corals in (mushroom, candy cane, Zoa)

I have a maroon clown, Bangai cardinal fish, and a six line wrasse + one emerald crab

Recently noticed my clown fish trying to pair up with my mushroom. I hadn’t glued it down thinking I didn’t have anything that would mess with it.

If I want to keep this coral will I need to get my clown an anemone? Mushroom coral shriveled up and the clown is just hanging around it now.

Attachments

• IMG_1738.mov
    45 MB

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue it down. It should get used to the clown pestering it.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
all glued down, thank you
Keep an eye on if. I haven’t had luck gluing mushrooms as they just move off of it. Might need to use a rubber band until it takes hold.

The mushroom will be fine with the clown as long as the clown is actually rubbing on it and no nipping at it.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the mushroom is not attached to a plug or piece of rock put it in a small plastic container with rock rubble and within a week it will attach to a piece and you can glue it where you want it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all, I have a 2 month old 20gallon tall saltwater tank that I recently put a few test corals in (mushroom, candy cane, Zoa)

I have a maroon clown, Bangai cardinal fish, and a six line wrasse + one emerald crab

Recently noticed my clown fish trying to pair up with my mushroom. I hadn’t glued it down thinking I didn’t have anything that would mess with it.

If I want to keep this coral will I need to get my clown an anemone? Mushroom coral shriveled up and the clown is just hanging around it now.
I would not glue mushroom coral. You wanted to place it in a cup with coral rubble and have it set its foot to the rubble
Clowns are dumb- they will try to be hosted by a stick of dynamite if given the opportunity

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns picked my toadstool and it was really cool to see as it got big they would hunker down and sleep at night and the toadstool would kind of cup up around them. They did this for a few years till I changed tanks now they picked a powerhead lol sure wish they would go back but they pick what they pick.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns, picked my duncan to host them but prior to that my return nozzle hosted them for a year and a half.
07E02071-453C-4055-B123-704BA902E433.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back