IM 100G Shallow Peninsula Build

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching! Love the tank dimensions and stocking choices - gorgonians, mangroves, macros, anemones, banggais, and mandarins.

Have the mangroves perked up at all?

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching! Love the tank dimensions and stocking choices - gorgonians, mangroves, macros, anemones, banggais, and mandarins.

Have the mangroves perked up at all?
Thank you! Things are doing well so far! *fingers crossed*

The mangroves though, aren't really doing great Removed the one that the urchin almost ate all the way through. One of the other two remaining also has a small bite out of it but seems to be doing okay still.

The only one that the urchin didn't bite has dropped all its leaves and may actually be dead on top. So yeah not going great with them I guess. First try though and will definitely try again soon if things continue. Will probably try aclimating them to salt first or keeping them in my planted tank for a few months first then aclimating.

Here is a pic of them now.
20230119_190516.jpg

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mangroves though, aren't really doing great Removed the one that the urchin almost ate all the way through. One of the other two remaining also has a small bite out of it but seems to be doing okay still.

The only one that the urchin didn't bite has dropped all its leaves and may actually be dead on top. So yeah not going great with them I guess. First try though and will definitely try again soon if things continue. Will probably try aclimating them to salt first or keeping them in my planted tank for a few months first then aclimating.

I'm guessing you ordered them with roots and leaves already developed? Any idea if the seller grew them out in FW, or if in SW, what salinity? I've grown 4 successfully for the last two years, including transplanting them once, but only in FW. I haven't tried acclimating them yet, as I don't have a suitable tank setup for them yet. I originally ordered 5 with roots and leaves from ebay, I had one that didn't handle shipping well and slowly declined for about a month, but the other 4 are doing well to various degrees. One has really shot up.

If you don't want to have to worry about trying to acclimate or move them, you could try starting them from propagules.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, have you read Julian's free pdf? It has some good info for mangrove keepers. I can post a link if you haven't.

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got them with some roots and leaves on them. They came from Algae Barn but I'm not sure if they have them in FW or SW.

Also, have you read Julian's free pdf? It has some good info for mangrove keepers. I can post a link if you haven't.

Oh I have not, yeah go ahead if you don't mind. I'm sure it's a good read!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got them with some roots and leaves on them. They came from Algae Barn but I'm not sure if they have them in FW or SW.

@AlgaeBarn, I'm guessing your mangroves are grown out in SW? Also, it says mariculuted/aquacultured on your website - does that mean you have the propagules collected and then shipped to you, then you grow them out with roots and leaves in a dedicated system at your facility? Any thoughts on why @AKay3600 may be having issues with their mangroves?

Thanks for the info!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh I have not, yeah go ahead if you don't mind. I'm sure it's a good read!

Just throwing out possible ideas, I'm wondering if they are getting enough light where they are from your tank lighting? May be worth putting a dedicated, strong, daytime spectrum LED bulb directly over the mangroves.

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately it looks like my order of snails, macro, rock flowers, mushrooms and gorgonians has been lost by UPS. Was supposed to arrive yesterday by 7pm but tracking has shown it in Louisville since Wednesday morning.

Russ over at Golf Coast Ecosystems is aware of it and it is looking like he will be shipping out the order again. So I really appreciate his help with the mix up! Really feel bad for the critters that won't make it though :crying-face:. Worst part of the hobby for sure.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam n that's sad. Hope it randomly shows up today. I've mostly had success shipping in cold weather, but it's the storm delays that really get you.

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it never did show. I am guessing it will ship again tomorrow. In the mean time I went to my LFS and traded in some candy canes and my Urchin. He was just too hungry for either of my tanks.

I ended up using that credit and the remaining credit I had from my big trade in. Picked up a nice 2 head torch that looks like it could turn into 4 or 5 pretty soon. Also picked up some gsp, xenia, clove polyps and a green capnella leather. The gsp, xenia and some of the clove polyps went into the 15g softie tank.

The manager of the store also hooked me up with a nice sized frag of Green Slimer, just said to hook him up with a frag back once it grows out.

Oh also did a nice 10g WC today. Parameters are all still looking good. Alk 8.6, Cal 440, Mag 1470, PH 8.15. Nitrate is around 25 so still doing okay. Phosphate bumped up to .07 so I'll keep an eye on that .

20230122_173556.jpg

The new torch, still settling in.
20230122_173610.jpg

A nice little relaxing video of my corky sea finger.

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have been thinking about my future fish list while here at work, probably more than I should. Let me know what you guys think.

Currently I have:
2 Clowns​
1 Tailspot Blenny​
1 Melanurus Wrasse​
1 Coral Beauty (Going to remove him though, he's a jerk)​

So I'm thinking maybe by next Christmas my stock list will be:
2 Clowns​
1 Tailspot Blenny​
1 Melanurus Wrasse​
2 Banggai Cardinals​
1 Yellow Tang / Yellow Rabbitfish​
2 Green Mandarins​

I feel like I will also want a small goby/pistol shrimp combo but not sure which yet and then down the line after these first fish maybe something like a few chromis or firefish to float around in the water column a bit. I don't know though hmm, what are some of your opinions?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been in the hobby for almost 8 years now. I started with a standard 29 gallon that I ran until May of 2021 when we moved and I upgraded to the Red Sea. I never really wanted this tank but I was able to get it a good deal right at the time we were moving into our first house so I went with it. Anyway, I have been a bit bored with the Reefer as it's dimensions are pretty similar to the same 29 I ran for so long so I was looking for something a bit new and came across this new peninsula. Here are some pics of the 29 and Reefer 250.

The 29
177352419_10157626779631930_292267021665792889_n.jpg

Red Sea Reefer 250
272276466_10158085014146930_7496673127514212781_n.jpg
I love this! :star-struck:

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look to be getting some good growth on all my SPS actually. My Green Elkhorn is on a roll and this acro and a tiny frag of it on the other side are really starting to take off. I believe they are Red Robin's but their color has changed a good bit and got really dark in the holding tank. Hopefully they will start to pretty up over time. Definitely growing with the flow though!

20230131_172820.jpg

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp looks like I have some acro eating flatworms. Never dealt with this before so this should be a good learning experience. Since none of the 3 acros I have are entrusting to the rocks yet I'll probably pull them and dip in Revive and then move them to my 15G shrimp tank for a week and then dip again after a week. Will also blow them off and scrape any eggs I can find. Wish me luck!

20230204_164913.jpg

20230204_164859.jpg

OP
OP
AKay3600

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ding ding ding! Only found some on the Red Robin. The RR frag on the other side seemed okay as did the Green Slimer. I did dip and blow off both but didn't see any flatworms or bite marks.

I couldn't find any eggs on the main RR but I cut off the plug and put a new plug on it.

Screenshot_20230205_111512_Gallery.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back