High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb 2024 FTS
FTS.png

THE PLAN!
So, every reefer asks themselves, “After all, why not? Why shouldn’t I keep another tank?” And since I didn’t have an answer, my new 25g WaterBox mini peninsula.

IMG_2233.png
I have a typical SPS 170 gallon innovative marine reef, lots of rock, coral anywhere that has space and no sand. With this tank, I want to do something different, so I’m opting for less rock, fewer but larger corals, relative to the tank size, and lots of open sand, like a coastal reef.

There will be lots of natural sunlight, so algae will be a concern but I’ll incorporate UV and a heavy CUC.

Like all my tanks, I want it to be relatively simple and easy to maintain. So here’s my equipment list:

WaterBox 25g mini peninsula
DIY 4040 aluminum stand
Radion XR15 G5 Pro
AI Nero 3
AI Axis 4 for return
Eheim Jager 75w heater
Tunze Osmolator ATO
Future: UV via IM 11w aqua shield (hopefully)
Future: manual 3D printer fleece roller (if needed)

Rock was left over from my DT, corals will be mostly leathers and euphyllia with some Zoas, Ricordea and other LPS.

IMG_2232.png
Fish: undecided but may stick with all captive raised.

So far, tank is up and running, corals are in the tank but I still deciding on permanent aquascape.

IMG_2231.png IMG_2230.png

Here’s the first video on my thoughts and master plan:

And I’ll update as I make more vids on the tank.

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae will be an issue only because your biodiversity will be low. I am not going to go live vs. not. Both outcomes can be the same, just requires a bit of patience and knowledge for one more than the other. All four of my tanks are in a brightly lit room with a large 4'x9' window that is non-UV single pane (yes California). But with all that light energy and brand new shiny surfaces to grow on.... yep! I was actually going to do an article or something about how even in an established tank with no visible algae, if a blank canvas was presented algae would go to town. Every time I clean my Gyre or MP guards and they are freshee clean, GHA or briopsis say "yeah baby.." My other herbivores in the tank laugh and remind me they have a discerning palate.
I like the tank where it is. Once it gets established the LPS are going to love all the light!

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I go to clean the Nero 3 out of my frag sump and put it in this tank and turns out the motor magnet was cracked and rusted in like 3 places. Turns out this is a common issue... but I have a new one coming anyways. Not a fan of the reliablility... but nothing beats how small it is, so I will take my chances again.

Anyways, I have a small pico tank return pump ziptied to a magnet in the tank right now to add flow until the new pump arrives!
Who Knows Idk GIF

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some wire management and it’s looking good. Tank and equipment setup is inspired by Jake’s Innovative marine tank setups in the Reef Builders studio.

There is a return pump zip tied to a maxi jet suction cup for now until my Nero 3 gets here and the ATO is a bucket until my 5 gallon water jug gets here but overall it’s almost there! Still have a lot of coral to move over.

IMG_2251.jpeg

IMG_2253.jpeg

loyalsockreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I go to clean the Nero 3 out of my frag sump and put it in this tank and turns out the motor magnet was cracked and rusted in like 3 places. Turns out this is a common issue... but I have a new one coming anyways. Not a fan of the reliablility... but nothing beats how small it is, so I will take my chances again.

Anyways, I have a small pico tank return pump ziptied to a magnet in the tank right now to add flow until the new pump arrives!
Who Knows Idk GIF
they suck lol nice nano

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are doing well and I'm really enjoying this tank. Can't wait to add some fish. Some of the hammers and frogspawn lighten up a little... probably from the sunlight and lack of fish poop. So I dialed back the radion intensity and started feeding reefroids. They still open and look good tho so not worried.

Put in a clean up crew so hopefully they'll clean up the rock that came from my Pico tank that had some macro algaes growing on it.

Here's a video I put up on building the stand, which also has some B-roll of the tank after I added all the corals:

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video update: corals are in place and clean up crew is in... once I get back from a trip next weekend, I will go pick up some fish! Thinking of doing all captive bred fish in this one.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video update: corals are in place and clean up crew is in... once I get back from a trip next weekend, I will go pick up some fish! Thinking of doing all captive bred fish in this one.

Love the coral that is in there!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back