IM 25 lagoon opinions.

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start my forth tank lol started with a biocube, broke that down and built two evos(one for my house and one for the girlfriends) and as I've been meeting more people in the hobby that sell frags I'm looking to upgrade. At the end of summer we will be moving across the country but I'll be keeping my tank going and shutting down the girlfriends. Once we have a tank cycled in our new house I will get some assistance and **** my corals and fish across the country.

So this leads me to my question. I like the AIO system as I find it easier. I've been looking at the lagoon set up as I run a xr30 pro and as nice as the long tank would be I'd have to buy a second light. I run a mixed reef with about 50/50 SPS and LPs. Would you guys recommend the tank? How is the mightyjet pump that it comes with? How is the stock media basket? I've had to upgrade both in my biocube and Evo.

Sorry for such a jumbled post I'm trying to do my own research but can only find builds on this forum.

PXL_20210202_011354891.PORTRAIT.jpg

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the lagoon style tank. I’ve been thinking about getting one myself. I have had plenty of AIO tanks and while I do miss having a sump, there isn’t much an AIO strips you of that is a true game changer. I believe the new fusions come with the upgraded media basket it which is really nice quality. Don’t have any experience with the mighty jet but it’s definitely a nice bonus to have it considering it’s output

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this tank and love it. The MightyJet pumps are great. I upgraded mine to the bigger size, but that's just because I do not have a powerhead in the tank, just 2 Random Flow Generators.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The XR30's max spread is 32"x32" with a recommended spread of 24"x24". The 25 lagoon looks to be just under 24"x20". I would assume that ONE light would be enough. Would be a lot of light on that tank with two of them.

2. You can't go wrong with an IM. Is it the right size, footprint, etc for YOU? No one but yourself can answer that. IM has a great track record, but the tank size and style will come down to you. Me? I would love it as a office tank. Lagoon tanks are neat. I wouldn't trade it for my main tank, though. Not large enough and I like all my equipment in the sump since main tank is in living room.

3. It is common to upgrade the return pump and sock/media holders for most AIO tanks. If it has a sock in it, I will replace it. Not a fan of them. It appears it has both a sock and a basket. If I had this tank, I would replace that sock with an InTank basket and never look back. That's totally your call. For the pump, that depends. I replaced my nano AIO pump day 1 for more flow and quieter operation. Not sure if these are up to your standards. May take some time to figure out yourself after set up.

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank and love it. The MightyJet pumps are great. I upgraded mine to the bigger size, but that's just because I do not have a powerhead in the tank, just 2 Random Flow Generators.
Agree. Like the lumps, but if you do RFG’s it’s probably better to upgrade to the larger version. I use the larger in a 20nuvo and it fits perfectly.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a IM 25 lagoon and can say that you'll be impressed with the quality when you open the box. Unfortunately mine developed a failed corner seam well out of warranty and I'm not sure why since the tank was dead level and I was always super cautions when cleaning the glass. This was the second rimless tank that failed one me (the other was not an IM tank) so I went with an old school rimmed tank for my most recent build.

I bought my 25 lagoon before they were including the might pump but it sounds like others are pleased with it would seem sufficient. The IM tank baskets were of good quality too. I did find the dimensions of the tank a little difficult. While I love the lagoon top down view I think I prefer a tank with a little more vertical space so I'm not sure I would buy another lagoon but I do find myself looking at their INT and EXT tanks quite often.

While I fully understand that I probably just got one that was bad or maybe I nicked the silicone, I'm still gun shy about rimless tanks overall. I will say that while an AIO tank is nice and compact I did find it very restrictive and personally I prefer having a sump just because it allows for more equipment choices.

Good luck with yours~!

OP
OP
Sharkattackmack

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I'm still undecided. Starting to wonder if instead of shutting the girlfriends tank down I just bring it up here and run two tanks. I think I'd love the larger tank but I just saw this post on marketplace and for 500$ this custom 40gal AIO comes with everything seen but the lights. I'd have to pick up another xr30 but I've got a lead on another barely used gen 3 pro. Then I wondered to myself "when will it end?" Lol the goal when we move back to Calgary is to get a larger tank so I might just wait for that to upgrade. If I find a cheaper used IM AIO tank but for the time being I think I'll just enjoy what I have and keep learning the tips and tricks.

Here's a shot of that custom tank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210202-190132.png
    Screenshot_20210202-190132.png
    311.2 KB · Views: 42

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back