B

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is getting ugly.

I think we're starting to enter the ugly phase here, on day 24 or so, I'm seeing some green hair follicles around the tank. Some on the sand, but more on the glass. Rocks higher up in the water column and in higher flow areas are also earning their fair share of algae / diatoms.

Thankfully, the pods are everywhere. All over the glass, in the water column, and I'm sure on all the rocks and sand. Really happy with the product and that I got them in when I did. Given that so many tankmates are going to be "cleanup crew" type critters, I'm not worried at all. Just happy to see things moving along in the little eco system!

Pics aren't great, but first sprouts of green hair algae aren't the most exciting things to look at either...

IMG_2326.jpg

OP
OP
B

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts are my favorite and that mountain is awesome!

Thanks! It's always been a bucket list tank so I'm glad we're finally setting it up.

Awesome tank idea! I started my 25 up around the same time so I will follow your journey! I too am really hoping to not encounter the dinos by doing everything I can to diversify.

Thanks! I've been following yours along as well. Those pods I linked above are EVERYWHERE in my tank. All over the glass on all 4 sides. Highly recommend if you're going the pod route.

OP
OP
B

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here we are on Day 28, and the tank is going almost too smoothly. I know we'll hit some real uglies here soon, but for now, no major snags. We're also in a really good spot for livestock, as the LFS knocked out several of my requests in one shipment.

New additions: 2 mangroves (1 may be just too short to make it, but we're giving it a go), 2 shaving brushes, and 3 camelback shrimp!

Current tank inhabitants:
  • 1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • 1x Scarlett Hermit
  • 2x Emerald Crabs
  • 2x Sexy Shrimp
  • 3x Camelback Shrimp
  • 2x Mangroves (arrived with root systems)
  • 2x Shaving brush
  • ~1,000,000 pods

Surprisingly, after adding the camelbacks, everything has gotten much more quiet. Everyone seems to be hanging out (together) on the inside of the central mountain. Thankfully with 3 viewing sides, this still allows some good peeking points, but not much in the form of "scurrying", at least during the day.

I picked up some sinking algae wafers to compliment the PE pellets, and I tend to "overfeed", so there is food scattered around the rocks and substrate. However, it's fully eaten in the morning, without any going into the overflows, so I think the night crew is cleaning up, which is the plan.

All in all, we're in a really good spot for a brand new tank with almost entirely dry rock. Bracing for impact...

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

OP
OP
B

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month and a half in, everything still smooth!

Nitrites: 0 - 0.1 ppm
Nitrates: 5 - 10 ppm
Specific Gravity: 1.025

Next additions will be our fish. Hopefully getting some Azure damsels this week, but our tank is completely covered in pods. This is challenging the plans a little, as I'd love a mandarin goby. BUT, this tank has always been a low-maintenance, low-budget tank. So for now, we're going to stick to the plan with extremely hardy fish as the tank is likely more suited for them.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering mangroves in my build also. Just started the thread. But dang the mangroves make me angry. They are everywhere where I live. pods that are rooting out just floating everywhere. But I can't touch those, its against the rules. I'll end up ordering them off of ebay from someone who does pick them up off of a brackish marsh, definitely in my home state and very likely in my city...

OP
OP
B

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering mangroves in my build also. Just started the thread. But dang the mangroves make me angry. They are everywhere where I live. pods that are rooting out just floating everywhere. But I can't touch those, its against the rules. I'll end up ordering them off of ebay from someone who does pick them up off of a brackish marsh, definitely in my home state and very likely in my city...

The mangroves actually aren't doing super hot at the moment. One has lost all of it's leaves and the other has some unbloomed leaves at the top but they're not opening up. I wiped them with RODI water, so I may need to do better for the next batch (somehow). Unfortunately the master mangrove thread is defunct with photos no longer showing up...

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are moody and slow. I have a couple potted on my back patio that I did some bansai stuff with years ago, but I live in Jacksonville fl where we have them wild. In salt water, I don't think you can spritz and wipe them enough. When I have them in salt water I spritz them with ro water using a squirt bottle on the mist setting at least 3 times a day. Just make it a habit to spray them when you happen to walk past. anytime you have a minute more, wipe them. And if you can bring yourself to do it, add a bit of red to your light. but if your mangrove isn't heathy you are going to turn your tank into an algae scrubber doing that

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had way more success with Mangroves with more of the plant out of the water than you have. from you pic, I would want a few more inches above the water line, and then spray them down with freshwater sprayer every day. The plant can live in saltwater, bit the tope leaves do not like it. Also be careful with the roots, if your break them it affects the ability for them to regulate salinity internally (or so i have been told) and seemed to have experienced unfortunately before.

Back