IM 40 AIO vs Red Sea 200xl refugium, small Skimmer

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide between a IM Nuvo 40 AIO and a Red Sea 200xl tank. I like how on the Nuvo you can do a refugium with Chaeto in one of the back chambers and still have room for a Skimmer. The Red Sea 200 has no specific refugium partition, but i was thinking i could use the skimmer section if I got a small enough skimmer (maybe a Tunze Comline 9004). Would this skimmer work on the RS200 (it needs an immersion depth of 8.86 to 9.65). Anyone doing this or have suggestions?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide between a IM Nuvo 40 AIO and a Red Sea 200xl tank. I like how on the Nuvo you can do a refugium with Chaeto in one of the back chambers and still have room for a Skimmer. The Red Sea 200 has no specific refugium partition, but i was thinking i could use the skimmer section if I got a small enough skimmer (maybe a Tunze Comline 9004). Would this skimmer work on the RS200 (it needs an immersion depth of 8.86 to 9.65). Anyone doing this or have suggestions?
I would go with the Red Sea 200XL. It gives you a sump- and sumps just makes maintenance so much easier!

A refugium is not required to be successful; it is one of those things that are nice to have! Plenty of reefers have amazing tanks without one :) Plus a refugium either needs to be a certain size- or be well lit to make a difference with regards to nutrient control.

What is your main consideration behind wanting the refugium? :)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have previously owned the Red Sea 170 which has the same sump as the 200 XL. I converted the ATO box into a pump-fed refugium overflowing back in to the sump. There's a guide here on R2R somewhere that I will find for you.

In my opinion, it's a better solution than the compromise you have to make using the Nuvo.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one example of an ATO conversion to refugium posted by @SuncrestReef

I have seen examples as well where people re-route the drain pipe in to the ATO (refugium) and then overflow into the filter sock.

Attachments

• IMG_2987.jpg
    IMG_2987.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
S

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Red Sea 200XL. It gives you a sump- and sumps just makes maintenance so much easier!

A refugium is not required to be successful; it is one of those things that are nice to have! Plenty of reefers have amazing tanks without one :) Plus a refugium either needs to be a certain size- or be well lit to make a difference with regards to nutrient control.

What is your main consideration behind wanting the refugium? :)
Looking for algae control, nutrient export, and a place to increase POD population.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for algae control, nutrient export, and a place to increase POD population.
Definetly look at a tank where you can have a proper refugium though with no compromise! The Nuvo is to me a compromise ; the Red Sea 200 (while having no dedicated space) seems a better option with the conversion.

Any chance you can fit a 3 foot tank? The slightly larger form factor might leave you space for a dedicated refugium chamber in your sump.

If not, then look at the Red Sea 200 mod.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have an IM25 lagoon, which is similar dimensions to the IM40. You will run out of space in the back very fast. It would also be a pain to keep cheato detritus free.

Edit: I do not have a skimmer or refugium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back